1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband and Wife - Changed roles

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SGBV, Aug 21, 2013.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I am presenting a case for your analysis. Since it is very similar to my issues, I just do not want to share my view points here as it may come out judgmental.

This is a case of my colleague, who is becoming a friend of mine since we both sail almost in a similar boat.

She came from a very poor family. Although they were poor financially, they had the richness of love and affection in that close knit family. She received a couple of government scholarships and grew up in life both educationally and financially against all the odds. Because of her, the family specially her siblings managed to get good education and careers. Now everyone is grown a step ahead of where they were from, and they all are thankful to their sister.

A married to B, who came from a very rich family. Where he never had to do anything on his own, as his rich dad was behind him always. His dad decided what he needs to study, where he needs to work, and when he needs to marry. He spent on B's every needs.
    His dad was a poor independent person when he was young, but he never let his children experience any suffering in their lives. Rather he dominated in their lives, and decided everything for them. The children too found that comfortable.

Now the problem is.. Both A and B are earning. B expects A to act like his dad, and be the provider of their family. He demands for a luxury, branded and rich life style and expect A to sponsor for that - :bonk
    B spend his salary carelessly on not so important stuff such like parties with friends and other stuff, but never on family.
    A on the other hand used to strive hard, earn hard and spend on others, find it normal and do the same for her home.

B dominates, demands and expects a lot from A. When A tries to make him understand, he fights with her like a teenage boy, and run away from the home:bonk
    A suffers and sacrifices her own happiness and freedom to provide all the best things to the family as she had become the primary bread winner there by default.

They have 2 kids, and married for 7 years now.

I suspected in laws since I have a similar life bcz of them. So I dont want to analyze their case with the same tinted eyes. :hide:
    Whatsoever, B still listens to his parents, and guided by them for everything.... Whenever there is a problem between them, B runs to his parent's home and he receives royal treatment there....

What say you girls..........?????????????

2. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

Anyway, since she is running the household single handedly, she may as well separate from such an escapist. Atleast she will not have to take care of him too then. I know its easier said than done, but see no other alternative.

2 people like this.
  3. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

why dont A talks with her FIL (B's father). since B's father has strived hard to come up in life he shud know the value of money and he should advice and guide B to be man on his own family and provide to his own wife and children.

5 people like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Money is not the reason for her to stay with him. There should be something else.. Otherwise, she would have been separated him long back, as he is utterly useless for her, but a pain - I guess.

FIL is the one who advises the son to spend his money this way. The son listens only to his father and does everything accordingly.
    The father says that he has done a huge favor for him and his family by struggling a long 25 yrs in the past. Now no one should struggle the same in his family as the way he was. So, he advises everyone to enjoy while comfortably making others to bear their responsibilities too.

I am not so sure about my own statement above. This is just my perception though:hide:
    I say this, because that FIL is looking for a bride for his other son. His primary selection criteria is the "eligible girl should have a high paying job or some income generating assets". This speaks volumes according to me

5. rathiprasad

rathiprasad Silver IL'ite

A man who runs to his momma after 7 years of marriage and 2 kids will eternally be the same thumb sucking kid. I can empathise with your friend.It is going to be a challenging and hard life taking care of 3 kids (one with stunted growth). She can get the support of her family to help out but it is very unlikely he will change. anyway why should he when things are going his way. Your friend can either say a daily prayer and stride along or plan a exit strategy.

4 people like this.
  6. suganvijay

suganvijay Platinum IL'ite

I too agree with shanthana.. It's better for A to talk to B's dad which would be the best solution rather than breaking a family!

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Not sure whether A had discussed this with her in laws or not... But I am very sure that they knew it all, since they live in the same area.. annexed home and knowing everything of each other

9. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

I did not mean money either,but he is not fulfilling his responsibilities in any other way too. He is not cooperative, runs to parents home at the first sign of trouble. All the responisbilities are shouldered by A. What is she getting out of this marriage?

10. suganvijay

suganvijay Platinum IL'ite

That's bad that b's dad doesn't want to his family to struggle! If his son can't even win bread. Utter for his own family isn't that fact itself making his son ineligible!!! Shame on him!!