1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Hungry- pick up a healthy cereal bar!!!!

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Shanvy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

View attachment 179628 I so wanted to write a lot of things, reply to all the wonderful fb's that i have been getting to all my blogs, but i appear to have become lazy:)hide:) or a tad too busy, what with so much happening at the home front and the health front.

this bar recipe was a request by a friend after seeing it posted in a the virtual feast, though i have taken so long a time to post it here..sorry dear, and i know you will understand.

( a word of caution: though healthy, it is important to understand that it is equally loaded with calories depending on the ingredients you add to it)

My daughter is recuperating after being seriously sick, and also with the 12th exams round the corner, i want healthy alternatives as she is not supposed to eat junk or lot of fruits..(limited fruits selections:bonk)

I have tried to take pictures as i find they are so self explanatory after seeing chithmam do it.

Ingredients : these bars are so flexible that you can play around to suit your palate and even your moods..

The one i have made today is oats and multigrain wheat flour with lots of dried cranberries, blueberries, dates and raisin, along with just a hint of powdered almonds,and yes loaded with sesame seeds as they are rich in iron and also made in jaggery as i ran short of brown sugar.

Oats - 1.5 cup
    Wheat flour - 0.5 cup.
    jaggery powdered - 3/4 or 1 cup depending on what dry fruits you add. dates being already loaded with sweetness i have reduced jaggery.
    sesame seed - 2 tblsp
    dates -10 nice cut/mashed
    cranberries+blueberries+raisin - 2 tblsp.
    oil/butter (I have used oil) - 1 tblsp
    milk powder - 2 tblsp.
    almond powder - 1 tblsp
    water/milk - 2 tblsp.

Mix oil/butter and jaggery and mix into a nice mixture. add almond powder and dry fruits and mix. now add oats, wheat flour, milk powder and mix again..if the mixture does not roll into a dough, add a little milk or water and mix it into a dough like consistency. place it on a baking tray, and bake at 180 degrees for about 30 minutes.and a few minutes more if you like the bar brittle rather than chewy.

View attachment 179623 View attachment 179626 View attachment 179627

Variations : you could make one with just the health drink mix with lots of nuts and brown sugar, like the one i made some time back.http://www.indusladies.com/forums/r...ual-feast-only-photos-no-150.html#post2637266

add a little cocoa powder to make it chocolaty.

just make with plain oats and almond powder.

you can add mashed papaya and mashed banana variations too..

nicely roasted dessicated coconut would taste great.

P.S. Now dear buddies, sorry if i am not posting immediate acknowledgements for your encouraging fb's. will do soon...:bowdown

2. sidvidu

sidvidu Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,
    Wow healthy and delicious bar!!! way to go for your culinary skills. sure I'm going to try this as my son is recovering from flu, needs energy for his exams. will meet u in our weight loss thread as I'll be starting my walking from today.
    Vidya.

3. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

Nice recipe Shanthi. I will try it in a small quantity and check whether my kids like if so it can their Best healthy bar ever. thanks for sharing shanthi.

4. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy , Thanks for sharing the nutritious bar recipe..

5. cedantseq

cedantseq New IL'ite

wow, thanks for the recipe, very nutritous and healthy too

6. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

I wish I could just pick it and eat it:)) Thanks ,
    Lakshmi

7. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful&healthy receipe...

8. saras123

saras123 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Will try at home.

9. bhuvisrini

bhuvisrini Gold IL'ite

10. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

looks yummy mam...thanks for the photos...