Hunger pangs post delivery !!!

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by marrgg, Feb 25, 2010.

1. marrgg

marrgg Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

My baby is 39 days old and he is on BF. By the mid of the day my hunger pangs starts that is 1 hour post lunch. I am worried that i will put on weight, so controlling my craving.

Please suggest some nutritious snacks which can be had in between meals.

Regards

Rani

2. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Rani,

Even am getting hunger often. I heard it from my mom that when bf ing we will lose our energy and we will be hunger. Till we bf our LO we will have hunger..

May be try eating low caloric food items.. see ingredients and then have them

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

ladies bf'ing requires atleast 500 calories extra per day. if you don't consume that much you will loose weight like crazy. so eat often it will help keep up your milk supply. some nutritious snacks with a combo of proteins and carbs like

streamed sprouted moong
    peanut butter jam bread
    milk shake with fruit like banana
    fresh fruit salad with almonds / other nuts
    taco bell hard taco

When I was pumping, I was making 50 ounces of milk per day, which is equal to 1000 calories per day. Which meant that if I did not eat 2800 calories per day I lost weight like crazy.

So eat when you feel hungry!

4. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

hi Rani,
    my LO is 67 days old.
    hes on BM completely.
    hunger pangs are common post delivery.
    drink milk, or eat low calorie foods like moog, brown bread or some fruits..

5. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

thanks for the snack ideas.

Out of curiousity, how did you come up with 50 ounces=1000 calories? I know they say bfeeding makes you lose upto 500 calories a day.

6. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

1 ounce of breastmilk = 20 calories
    50 ounces = 1000 calories

www.kellymom.com

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Eating adequately during breast feeding is very very important. If you do not take adequate food and vitamins/minerals your body will take it literally right out of you to accommodate the baby. The calcium can be taken right out of your teeth and muscle mass can be lost out of the body. EAT!!! Worry about weight later. I have seen women their whole mouth of teeth gone to you know where because they didn't hvae adequate nutrition in breastfeeding.

yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, nuts, beans

Easy hummus:
    one can garbanzo beans drained or a couple cups of cooked ones drained
    2-3 T lemon juice
    salt to taste
    3 T tahini
    2 T olive oil (or more if the tahini is really thick)
    few pieces of roasted red peppers from jarred ones
    Puree. You can add cumin, chilli pepper, etc whatever you like. This is very good with tortilla chips or on multigrain bread. High protein.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I had a stock of granola bars, some easy-peasy sprout mixes, fruit and vegetable salad made in the mornings and stored in the fridge. I almost always ate and drank something every time I bfed (except nights). I did develop insulin resistance PP for some reason and was put on a high-fibre, high-protein, whole grain diet - often replacing rice with oatmeal, millets - that really helped with the hunger pangs too. If you had GD or anyone in your family has diabetes, I would caution you about adding more carbs into your diet.

9. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

I gained weight like crazy because of hunger pangs. Please load up on veggies and fruits. Eat lot of protein which will help your milk supply. I used to get so hungry and trust me it's very hard to lose those pounds. It's better that you fill yourself with nutritious items. I lost all my preg weight after delivery and gained it all back while BFing. If you avoid junk food it would be a breeze :cheers

10. deepanand2010

deepanand2010 New IL'ite

Hi,

My son is 14 days old. I also faced the same problem. Whenever i feel hungry, i used to eat RUSK with a glass of milk (without sugar) which really helped me and also i've heard that it will increase milk supply.

Regards,
    Deepa