1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Humour Sanskrit, Dad, & Mom And School Last Bench

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Parents are those mystic planners who trump up unfounded theories on why something is good for us (and our future) against our own better judgement. What? Why this for me? Years later, the fancy either grows on us or we adapt ourselves to grow on it. Whichever way, every coming of age tale has one such seemingly villainous dad who drags us into something that would have baffled and rattled us back then.

My dad wanted all his kids to learn classical dance. No fashionable swim and sing but dance, that too classical dance. Can you imagine ME in a classical dance?

I used to heave myself to the classical dance classes. I abandoned soon enough! But that induction pushed me into folk and disco, every form of wriggle but not classical. Here come's the flash-point. I chalked up a preference to consort only with lively characters thereafter. And when I examined my preference, I noticed that all the friends I consorted with in school and adulthood had a predilection in common: we bore an affinity for charleston-type energetic music.

No one swings to downing and melancholic music so we used to sift for only frisky music and heard very less of sad music. I don't know if there is any study conducted on kids growing up with bright music over doleful music. If there had been one, then probably it might uncover why casually dancing kids turn into euphoric tripsters.

I don't know if my dad envisioned too much into the rumored benefits of dance and put his tapping foot down to ensure (and paid for) our classes. But, today, in retrospection, I concede to that (cussed) performing art which has been of greater relevance in my life than any other form of bias.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Thank you for the elaboration as to how you landed dancing or ot dancing; and the read had given me heave and giggle. The humour began as rivulet expanded into river to a conclusion that dad during your teens was right.
    2. It would be nice to imagine in those attire and embellishments a dancing you under special light effects.
    Thanks and regards.
    God Bless.

3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

However, my siblings persisted and went on to perform shows under special light effects and won awards in the locality/city. I abandoned! Classical dance didn't suit my visceral urge to monkey jump ho ho as in disco and lambada. My parents preserved those childhood costumes for a long time ..meticulously dry cleaning and storing. Strangely, the next generation in my family has taken to dance naturally with no coercion or even hint: learnt, trained and again performing now in their own interest and passion. We siblings are surprised! The recent addition, an infant, already jumps like Jitendra.

Hehe! You are giving me ideas to round up the old and new in the family clan and come up with a flash dance sans classical embellishments.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello:
    :hello:extract from a message received from my pal copied below which might e of interest.

'His Masters Voice' (HMV) had once published a pamphlet giving the history of gramophone record.

Gramophone was invented by Thomas Alva Edison in the 19th century.

Edison, who had invented many other gadgets like electric light and the motion picture camera, had become a legend even in his own time.

When he invented the gramophone record, which could record human voice for posterity, he wanted to record the voice of an eminent scholar on his first piece.

For that he chose Prof. Max Muller of England (a German by ethnicity), another great personality of the 19th century.

He wrote to Max Muller saying,

“I want to meet you and record your voice. When should I come?”

Max Muller who had great respect for Edison asked him to come on a suitable time when most of the scholars of the Europe would be gathering in England.

Accordingly, Edison took a ship and went to England. He was introduced to the audience. All cheered Edison’s presence.

Later at the request of Edison, Max Muller came on the stage and spoke in front of the instrument.

Then Edison went back to his laboratory and by afternoon came back with a disc & played it on the gramophone.

The audience was thrilled to hear the voice of Max Muller from the instrument.

They were glad that voices of great persons like Max Muller could be stored for the benefit of posterity.

After several rounds of applause and congratulations to Thomas Edison, Max Muller came to the stage and addressed the scholars and asked them,

“You heard my original voice in the morning. Then you heard the same voice coming out from this instrument in the afternoon. Do you understand what I said in the morning or what you heard in the afternoon?”

The audience fell silent because they could not understand the language in which Max Muller had spoken.

It was ‘Greek and Latin’ to them as they say.

But had it been Greek or Latin, they would have definitely understood because they were from various parts of Europe.

It was in a language which the European scholars had never heard.

Max Muller then explained what he had spoken.

He said that the language he spoke was Sanskrit and it was the first sloka of Rig Veda, which says "Agni Meele Purohitam”

This was the first recorded public version on the gramophone plate.

अग्निमीळे पुरोहितं यज्ञस्य देवं रत्वीजम।
    होतारं रत्नधातमम।।
    (Rig Veda 1.001.01)

Why did Max Muller choose this?

Addressing the audience he said,

“Vedas are the oldest text of the human race. And “Agni Meele Purohitam” is the first verse of Rig Veda.

In the most primordial time, when the people did not know how even to cover their bodies and lived by hunting and housed in caves, Indians had attained high civilization and they gave the world universal philosophies in the form of the Vedas.”

When “Agni Meele Purohitam” was replayed, the entire audience stood up in silence as a mark of respect.

The verse means :

“Oh Agni, You who gleam in the darkness, to You we come day by day, with devotion and bearing homage. So be of easy access to us, Agni, as a father to his son, abide with us for our well being."

Proud to be part of a truly glorious ancient civilization

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sri Thiagarajan:

Thank you for this wonderful snippet. So you are one of the lucky children who learned Sanskrit in the school formally. My wife was lucky enough to learn Sanskrit as the second language throughout her school and that gives her a great strength to learn any new recitations she wants to learn in Sanskrit. Even saying a sentence or two as a quote in my talks in Sanskrit is a struggle for me.

When I worked as the Chief Financial Officer of Center for Development of Advanced Computing during the years 1988-1992, there was a group formed to develop scientific and engineering applications in a natural language (Sanskrit). Already the Engineers were designing and developing high performance MIMD machine under parallel processing architecture for the first time. Several engineers were learning how to parallelize programs written for Seismic Data Processing, Molecular Modeling, Weather Forecasting, etc, another uphill tasks in India at that time. Eventually, the group developed a simple application and parallelized the code into the high performance computer. It was more of a proof of concept than a real effort to have one full massive scale application developed using Sanskrit. But the simple application did work in the MIMD machine.

When a group developed Graphic-based Intelligence Script Technology (GIST), they included multiple languages including Sanskrit to transliterate from one Indian language to another. But Sanskrit wasn't used to develop the underlying application to transliterate languages in the attachable chord to the computer.

Viswa

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

I liked your way of memorising! Innovative! But if the teacher picks up at random and asks to recite then you are in trouble.
    Sanskrit....I love a lot. Though I do not understand it has a beauty and sanctity.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thank you. You are very right; but as luck would have it, he chose to close his eyes and remain in meditation during the period when pupils one after another attempt reciting the subashidhani I mean the sloka. I wish I had mentioned this in the post itself.
    regards.
    God Bless.

8. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thanks for your detail response and am very impressed with your message that Sanskrit as a language in the reckoning for computer programming and received attention by Government of India and CDAC as early as 1988.
    2. my post as additional information at #24 to FB of Madam Sister @jayasala42 might also interest other readers & you as well.
    3. Somewhere I sourced that Sanskrit being tried as languagefor programme in computers used in NASA space exploration but @kkrish #16 research in their website disproves this. I wish I checked it before I made that statement in OP.
    REGARDS.
    God grant Godspeed in our earnest endeavour.

kkrish likes this.
  9. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

I too was Sanskrit student....:)

kkrish and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sri Thyagarajan,

Philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer said, "In the whole world there is no study so beneficial and elevating as that of Upanishads. It has been the solace of my life and it will be solace of my death"

German Orientalist Max Mueller said, "If philosophy or religion is meant to be preparation for the after-life, a happy life and happy death, I know of no better preparation for it than Vedanta"

Professor Paul Deussen of Kiel, Germany said, "Vedanta in its unfalsified form, is the strongest support of pure morality, is the greatest consolation on the sufferings of life and death"

Germans had a specific affinity towards Sanskrit for many years and in fact, their language has close resemblance of Sanskrit in many ways. With the exception of Germany, other Europeans may not have understood Sanskrit.

Even today 14 of the top German Universities teach Sanskrit and they are not able to cope up with the demand of the students and are forced to expand classes.

Julius Robert Oppenheimer, the father of the nuclear bomb when the first explosion took place near the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, he Quoted from Bhagavad Gita, "Now I am become death, destroyer of worlds". Here is the You Tube Video:

Regarding NASA researching Sanskrit as a programming language, I agree with @kkrish. Machine Learning and AI requires not only computational mathematics but also natural language processing capabilities. Sanskrit has not been researched enough to find these capabilities.

Viswa

kkrish and Thyagarajan like this.