1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Human I Am

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Jan 16, 2019.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I know something is not right though there are no physical signs; my gut feeling never fails me. It’s deep in night and and I heard the noise.Not a loud scream but a feeble cry that might miss many ears. Someone here is in danger. I tiptoed the entire house and everything is in order here,VJ a.k.a Vijay is in deep sleep.

I lay awake in my warm bed. Concentrate, concentrate, it’s the need of the hour. I sensed the noise is coming from the opposite flat. Quickly approaching footsteps, I can hear three different voices, so they are a team of three. It’s already mid-night and what work have they got to do there at late hour?

I must have slept in the early morning hours and woke up to the sound of VJ loudly banging the bathroom door. VJ is not alright and something appeared bothering him. This is not the time to tell him about what I heard in the opposite flat. We used to go for walk together and today I refused, thankfully VJ didn’t compel me. I wanted to find out what’s happening in the opposite flat when VJ was out for walk.

There are only two flats in our floor and the one opposite was unoccupied. I silently went to corridor and after making sure no one noticed me ,I tried for window of opposite house. I was successful after 10 mins of struggle and I jumped into opposite house without making much noise. It was dark and empty. I was about to leave when I saw the kid. She appeared unconscious and her mouth is sealed. Her hands and legs are tied.

Oh God!!! Fast approaching footsteps coming from the stairs, I guess VJ is back after a walk. I jumped from the window , hurriedly closed it and came running to reach my place before him. He entered the house and saw me lying on my bed. I thought that I should somehow explain him all that I saw. That entire morning I pleased him by doing things as he wish, so that he can help me out in saving a life. I definitely need his help. But he appeared preoccupied and all my efforts to attract his attention were a great failure.

We are not a highlight anymore as VJ restricts me with almost everything. In the initial days, we had a good relationship. He used to dote on me and spend his leisure time with me. He used to listen to my thoughts; there was never a person on Earth, who can understand my inner feelings better than him. I left everything to be with him. There is no point mulling about the past. This is not a time to think about us, but I need him to save a life.

I wish that I could take some steps before it’s too late. I lost one full day, wasting time in trying to open up with VJ. Also, he is working from home today and didn’t bother to have food the entire day. I realized that its mere waste of time to rely on him. I can’t force him when he is not willing to pay attention. If I force him further, he will not permit me to go out of the house.

Throughout the night, I stayed awake to get some way out of this problem. All stupid ideas are striking my mind, but nothing is useful. VJ is in his room busy working with his laptop. He dint bother to mind me. That’s good in a way so that I can go on with my plans. Again some footsteps on the floor, and I can hear someone open the door. I was thinking about the pathetic situation of the kid. I peeped out through the window and saw three of them entering the house. I was starring at the closed door throughout the night and early morning around 4 AM I saw them leaving the flat. I felt like I should go and assure the kid that I’m there to save him out of this trouble. But, I can’t open the door myself as the key is with VJ who is completely disturbed and restless. I wish he opens up with me.

Finally something dawned on me, how about taking help from my old friends. Ever since VJ came into my life, I lost touch with them but I know they will help me out. I decided to meet them as soon as VJ is out for office. I hope he is not working from today. VJ was speaking to someone in phone and I could hear him speaking about a kid. I don’t eavesdrop his conversation, but today it doesn’t matter.

He revealed to someone on the other side of the phone that, “I saw three persons in the parking lot, carrying a kid from their car. The kid was in an unconscious state and they took her to opposite flat Also, I guess that our apartment watchman should be a part of this plot, because car cannot enter the apartment without his knowledge. I checked the vehicle register and couldn’t find entry for the car. As I checked the register,I felt a revolvers on my back and a whispered warning that if I did something heroic, bullet will reach me first. I’m feeling completely insecure now. I wish that I should vacate this flat soon.” Okay so this is what is bothering VJ. Why is he acting like a coward? Shouldn’t he report his suspicions to police. Anyway I’m going to solve this for him. That’s the least I can do for this relationship.

Finally VJ mumbled a bye , locked the flat and left to work. I don’t know why VJ doesn’t trust me with keys. Right ,this is not the time to think but act..I’m into the mission.I thought for a while, but no idea peeped into my mind for around 20 minutes. I got hold of a pipeline fixed to the wall near our balcony, and somehow reached the ground floor. I just looked around to check if someone noticed me, none did. It took me an hour to reach my friends place.

The moment I reached their place, they came running to see me. No word exchange was required but deep in my heart I know my place is secure with them, something I missed from VJ these days. Without wasting time, I narrated them the entire stuff. They blindly told me to take their help before me asking them. It almost brought me to tears as I was not in touch with them for a longtime.

I have asked my friends to come to my flat tonight. Also, I asked them to take some of their other friends for our help. I was really happy that I made the right choice to seek their help. Now, it’s time for me to leave to my house before VJ comes. I took the stairs, reached our floor and it’s really shocking to see my flat door open. The moment I entered the house, I was expecting VJ to blast me. But, he is sitting idle on his bed and I’m able to make out that he is in some deep thinking. The sad cum happy part is that he failed to realize that I’m missing and he dint recognize my presence now too.

All stupid thoughts ran in my mind, “What if the three strangers don’t come??? What if my friends are caught in some trouble??? Is the kid still in the opposite flat???” Oh!! let me stop thinking about this, but I’m in an excited state of mind after a long time.

Its half past eleven. I’m expecting the strangers anytime. VJ is in deep sleep and I peeped out of the window. By now my friends should be waiting outside the compound of our apartment. I was readily waiting near the window. I can hear the approaching footsteps. As expected, the three of them came and locked themselves inside the flat. After 10 minutes, the entire atmosphere was damn silent. It’s the right time to give signal to my friends as planned. I slowly walked towards our balcony and was searching for my friends; they also saw me, readily awaiting my signal. The moment I waved my hands, one of my friends shook her head and waved her hand back. My heart beat was pounding high and I was very much tensed. My mind is occupied with just one thought, I should save that kid life. I jumped out of the window and waited for them , one by one my friend’s gate crashed and came to my floor without disturbing the snoring watchman. There were six of them plus me. Whoa,so, we seven as a team will make things happen.

Now, its quarter past twelve, and we have decided to start our mission.We confirmed each other that our mission is going to be successful. Also, even if we find them having some weapons we have decided to face it bravely. I developed courage in my mind and hit the door hard once. I was able to make out that someone is trying to peep from the window. But, as I was short he was not able to see me. After 5 minutes, someone opened the door and that very moment I jumped on top of him. Then my friends one after another entered the flat. We seven were comfortable enough to handle the three strangers. They are in our trap now. We were able to see a scary, frightened look in the stranger’s eyes. Even though they had some weapons they dint dare to hurt us because they know the consequences of fighting with us. One of the strangers smartly tried to hurt my friend with his knife. My friend bit him on the right shoulder. He shouted in pain and the other two were staring at him, dumbstruck.

Then all seven of us barked loudly at the top of our voice, and VJ hurriedly came running in the direction of the noise. He was shocked to see seven dogs together, that too opposite to his flat. He stared at me and rushed to our flat to inform the police on the phone and soon entire apartment was awake.Then the strangers were arrested by the police. These apartment residents didn’t bother to comfort the kid. I was expecting VJ to do that. When police untied the kid, she hugged me tight.

VJ came and patted me but I was angry at him. He should have done this, you have a bloody voice to explain to police. Once everything was over my friends were about to leave. I asked them to wait for me. I decided it’s time to leave VJ. VJ tried his best to make me stay but I’m not going to stay with an inhuman. Yes Human I am and inhuman you are.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Sachini, Bhoonzee, Amica and 24 others like this.

2. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Wow... Another brilliant piece from you @blackbeauty84 :cheer::clap2:
    Couldn't guess who it could be till the end:clapclap:

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good one! I didn't expect the ending to be what it was. Don't want to say much more in case some read the responses before they read the story. I have to say this - you put us through quite some tension even in one short story. : )

4. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Wow BB. That was a fantastic one and well narrated. Just loved it.

5. blackbeauty84

Thanks for the cheers Muggs. :) Glad to hear you found it gripping.

6. blackbeauty84

Thanks for the feedback Rihana. Happy to know, I'm putting you in tension

7. blackbeauty84

Many thanks for the feedback Rith

8. Rampuri9

Rampuri9 Silver IL'ite

WOW !! Totally unexpected ending ..amazing thought:)

9. Deepika23

Deepika23 Silver IL'ite

Wow what en ending!!! Love your writing style.

10. blackbeauty84

:) Thanks Rampuri. Happy to read your feedback.