1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hullabulloo Over Jallikattu

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Well said ! I was irked by the word tradition which came in all these local protests.

madras2018 likes this.
  2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Ranchu when it comes to people getting hurt it happens in extreme sports. If jallikattu is a sport it is an extreme one. But my point is it has been turned into a cruel farce with animals getting tortured. Traditional rules of the game that made it the showcase of Tamil heroism have been thrown to winds. Unless they are restored , the ban should not be lifted.

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Kamal Hasan said if you ban this sport, ban biryani too. I din't get how these two are connected?

Does it mean stop killing animals and eat it.

4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

5. GoogleGlass

what he means is for biriyani don't kill animals then...

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Thank you for a very well written thoughts about JK. Somehow, it becomes a battle between the human beings who like young men to venture into controlling the raged animal Vs those who support PETA. PETA is only an organization that promotes ethical treatment of animals as the animals don't speak for themselves. Some of their views might be right and some might be wrong. They have been talking about rats, mouses and pigs subjected to cruel treatment in the labs for years under the pretext of finding cure for human beings. When new techniques of simulation are available, the big Pharmas are still continuing their old method of subjecting the animals to all kind of tests throughout their life. I am for preventing any cruelty to animals in any form. I can't comprehend that the bull that wins JK is the best for insemination. Raising pet animals at home is a different ballgame as, in general, those human beings don't torture (other than a handful abuses reported) animals. Instead, they are showered with a lot of love and played with, fed well and given best medical attention.

How many of us have cried watching how the animals are treated in the so called professional farms? Cows and Caffs were forcefully separated. Cows are drugged constantly that they could not even stand properly. They are treated like milk producing factory. Once they lose the ability to generate milk, they are slaughtered mercilessly hanging upside down and watching other animals being slaughtered before their turn comes. We recently watched how in China, the dogs were beaten to death to peel their skin. Can everyone with a reasonable degree of confidence say that those bulls in JK are not drugged?

In my view, claiming tradition is nothing but crock. All kings were asked to assemble in the court and asked to showcase their strength to win the hands of the princess. Does it happen now? Those who need to show their strength can participate in kickboxing, boxing, fencing, etc. instead of showing their strength to control an animal or show their strength in protecting the borders by becoming a soldier or prevent crimes by becoming a cop.

What are the guidelines for JK? Can an animal understand such guidelines? Can one bull against 5-20 men be treated as battle of equals? How about reversing it to have one man against 5-20 bulls? If it is purely a sports to showcase the talents and to generate revenue, let it be declared as such with the same level of care given to the bull like the care given to a sportsman.

Viswa

madras2018 likes this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa you are right. It is a myth that Jallikattu improves the quality of stock. In the earlier days the bulls were huge strong and revered. Jallikattu participants had to confront the bull but at the same time treat it with reverence. Like they show in some movies, the aim is not to subdue the bull but use guile and speed to untie the gifts from the animal's neck. The rules included not attacking bull from behind. But nowadays there are no proper guidelines. Unless strict guidelines are laid down and it is ensured that they are followed, the sport , if it can be called a sport should not be held.

8. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Very well said Rajeni, its about India. There is more to it than meets the eye. These organisations shouldn't be given this much space by the SC. The supreme courts judgement is so not right. and what you said about the media is 200 percent right.

akbanupriya, Rajeni and GoogleGlass like this.
  9. GoogleGlass

In a live show kiran bedi bluffed saying she supports the ban after seeing a video of jallikattu :)

What a governor, what a governor!!!!! :)

All non veg cookery shows to be banned right away :):):)

10. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

Even I am against this ban on this super heroic and traditional landmark of our Tamil culture. Bull fight is an official game in Paris if I am not wrong. Why cant this organization raise their voice in those countries. When cows can allegedly be killed for taste, banning this game is obviously of no meaning at all...I very much liked reading your snippet...Great work..One of your best snippets i would say..