How / when to take saffron during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by skyinsc, Jul 23, 2013.

1. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

Please have a look at our post Saffron during Pregnancy for more tips and suggestions on whether saffron should be consumed during pregnancy or not.

Hi ladies,

I heard we need to take 3 or 4 strands of saffron. My MIL sent pure saffron and wants me to mix with just milk and have it on empty stomach but i dont like milk without anything mixed with it. Can i have saffron with milk and almond mix or does the saffron effect reduce if we mix with milk and something else .

From when is it safe to have saffron?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014

2. Paruchava

Paruchava Bronze IL'ite

Hi actually my gynic suggested me to take saffron with milk only upto 6months.u can drink it with almond honey anything u like there is no problem and u can take at any time morning and evening it's ur wish but don't drink it with empty stomach u may get vomtings

3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

What is the advantage of taking saffron during pregnancy?

4. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

You can start Saffron from 5th month onwards, the reason behind is during fifth month only the skin growth will happen.

take care saffron produce heat don't take much quantity daily one or 2 strips should be taken along with milk during night.

consuming lot of sffron will create jundice for baby.

Saffron will change the skin colour a little :)

Good luck

5. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Congratulations on ur pregnancy!!

Saffron actually helps purifying the blood of both the mother and the baby in the womb. The baby starts taking mothers food after completion of 3rd month. It is safe to take saffron milk once daily after completion of 5th month. There is no evidence to prove that saffron helps in skin texture but over doses generates heat which is not good for both mom and lil one.

I have used pure saffron gifted by the family that owns saffron fields and i used to put 4-5 strands. It is better to soak the stands in warm milk for 10-15min and crush them with fingers and later add to hot milk this way the properties of saffron r properly extracted.

yes u can mix badam, pista mix to the saffron milk it provides extra nutrition and taste to ur body. I have never head of taking it empty stomach.

I know u get confused with many options. Speak to ur doc before using it.

1 person likes this.
  6. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

Thank you for your suggestions Paruchava, Sumanrathi and sudha. I am glad i can mix almond powder to milk :) i will have strands with almond milk before sleeping.

1 person likes this.
  7. priyasakhi

priyasakhi New IL'ite

Hi All,

I had the same doubt about when and how much saffron to take. I checked with my doc and as per her she says there is no proven effect of taking saffron but since elders advice we can take it from 5th month with milk 3-4 strands a day.

There is no need 2 take on empty stomach. I usually take it during night along with milk and bournvita or any health drink mix.

Hope this helps.

8. amicablemom

amicablemom New IL'ite

Hello Ladies..

One small question, i bought saffron from india from one of grocery store, but now when i use it here, one strand of saffron doesn't leave any color in milk.

can it be duplicate or saffron one strand does not leave much color.

How can i make sure saffron is good and real?

Appreciate your help and inputs

9. umarsami

umarsami New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    Saffron Is widely Using during Pregnancy. Doctors recommend Always using pure Saffron.In India You Can Get from Kashmiri Saffron Which Is Basically Pure.I Know One Store which Is good and From Kashmir Origin as well Its You Can Check Kashmiri Saffron From This Website Kashmir Online Store.Original and Value for Money
    good Luck