How To Utilize Free Time In Office

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by bchopra, Jul 25, 2017.

1. bchopra

bchopra Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Life is a gift by GOD.It has so much to give you.There are tremendous moments when we feel we are energetic and want to do more that our usual self.How to utilize the time which we have in hand.If we utilize it to the best then only we get satisfied and get a feeling which makes us feel on top of the world.
    What are the things you do to utilize time in office if you are fast enough to complete your work.Do you kill time by accessing FB or checking whats up messages,reading blogs.Please share

Rihana and Gauri03 like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If I am done with the work of the moment and day, and am still in "work" mode and mood, I use paper and pencil to make plans and sketch out ideas for my work. In spite of all apps and devices available, I still need paper and pencil and having the time to use them feels good.

If still time is left, I work on my will and testament for 15-20 minutes. : ) Really. : ) And, if feeling really energetic and craving that feeling of satisfaction that comes after utilizing short chunks of available time efficiently, I write a vignette or part of it to add to my collection.

3. bchopra

bchopra Senior IL'ite

That sounds a great way of using time in office

4. Benitapaul

Benitapaul Silver IL'ite

Whenever I had some extra time at office and in good work mode. I would do the following.

1. Prepare a checklist for To Do regarding office work
    2. Prepare the menu for the coming week and grocery list
    3. Read a book via audible - I do this while driving as well instead of Songs
    4. Organize my desk and organize my digital library

I'm kind of into organizational stuff so these kind of stuff really keeps me going. As Rihana says I would write them down because that feeling is irreplaceable to me :)

bchopra likes this.
  5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Let me see....not necessarily, I can be productive all the time!

I just take a walk inside the building or exit to the garden and walk around the block....along the way someone will join, or visit old bodies - networking; It is very important to do once in awhile to get know potential opportunities, new assignments, upcoming projects that might perk our interest or simply to keep in touch with long time friends. Sometimes, helps to clear the sleepy mind. Day after day doing the same is boring, socializing with others is also important. It is not gossiping, but to understand what goes on around you, working hard is good, also understanding the reality, planning ahead is a must for the survival. Other wise, in no time your skills will become obsolete, left out from the main stream....Networking is very important at the work place.

Unless you take the first step to mingle, you will be the last to know.... about your work is being outsourced. It is not that easy to keep the IT job 'alive' in this global economy! Have to keep your eyes and ears open all the time. Now you know, the source of that peptic ulcer, insomnia cases!! of the middle aged group.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    bchopra likes this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Post in IL, of course. :icon_pc:
    .​

bchopra and Jey like this.
  7. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Surf the net . Just mindless surfing . I don't care whether it has meaningful content or not but surfing relaxes me . I don't get to do that home because of little kids and endless chores so what better place than work ??

8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Do you time bound the surfing, say 15 minute break, or does time fly by? How do you time-box it @Sunburst

9. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

I generally don't get much free time at work so 15-20 minutes is good enough for me. Most of the time ,someone interrupts or the meeting calendar shows it true colours when I really need to surf .

10. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Hi op good thread...

When I used to be in office I take a walk around building with any of me colleagues. Its good to have some fun discussions sometime ..:)

Right now I am waiting for a free time .. I wanted to learn some new technologies and take some training .. that's the plan right now :)

bchopra likes this.