How To Use The Peels & Stems Of Fruits &vegetables?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Anusowmyan, May 4, 2017.

1. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

I read an article in THE HINDU - METRO PLUS - MONDAY- dated-6-march-2017, titled " EAT THEM ALL" by Kavita Devgan. It deals about the benefits of peels, roots, stems & seeds of fruits and vegetables.

How to include the peels & greens in our diet? She has an answer for almost every thing which many normally discard it as waste.
    Do any of you make special dishes with the inclusion of peels & stems? do share it? I would like to try it at home. what surprised me in the article is the radish with the peel for mooli paratha & potato with peel for french fries.

In our house holds we use the orange rind along with tamarind & pulses to make a chutney, the same thing with the peel of the ridge gourd,& Bangalore Brinjal.

The article impressed me very much & love to try more recipes like that. double benefits from the source- food waste can be minimised & more intake of nutrients.
    HOW to make the Maximium use of all parts of fruits & vegetables? any ideas please...........

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

@Anusowmyan

Hi, very interesting. I hav never tried it before. Wen I was a kid, My mom used to dry orange peel n grind it to use it for the tooth or skin, don remember exactly. :(

Please share d recipes for both d chutneys mentioned above. I wud love to try it.:)

3. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

take fully ripened orange, seperate the pulp & the peel, wash the peel well &cut it into pieces ,fry it in a pan with little oil, keep it to cool. take some urad dal, & red chillies, & fry it well, till it turns colour. mix these fried items along with previously soaked tamarind & grind together in a mixier with salt. orange chutney is ready. seasoning with mustard & channa dal. serve it with plain rice, dosas & chappaties
    the same method & ingredients for the ridge gourd peel chutney as well as for Bangalore brinjal peel chutney