1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How to use Sage and Thyme?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by safa, Sep 28, 2006.

1. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Hello,
    I have got grenadine syrup, sage and thyme(dried) as a gift. sage and thyme are herbal medicines.. If any body knows how to use it pls tell me.
    Thanks in advance,

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Safa..

Looks like someone is expecting you to make mimosas...a mixed cocktail drink:)
    I don't know if your grenadine syrup contains alcohol or not..they come with and without alcohol. Grenadine syrup, thyme and sage are also used in cooking, especially in the meat roasts etc. If you don't drink nor eat meat, you still can find plenty of uses for the herbs. Both sage and thyme can be used in various pasta dishes and can also be used to flavour pizza or prepare a stir fried herbal rice. As grenadine syrup is made from pomegranate seeds, it should be very healthy and you can use it to make good fruit cocktail..for eg...mix it with orange and lemon juices and pep it up with some ginger ale, add crushed ice and garnish with mint leaves. Just use your imagination and make variations of the above.
    Hope that helps.
    L, Kamla

3. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

how to preserve?

Dear Kamla,
    Thank you so much for the informations..This grenadine is not alcohol , will try to mix it with juices. Since this is month of Ramadan , juice is a must in the evening.
    I am fed up seeing these herbs in very big packs:confused: . Here no body uses it. (most of our neighbours are Indians). If you don't mind ,pls suggest some sites having the recipes using these herbs.
    ( If you were here, I would have reached your home with all these items...)
    so sweet Kamla,
    thanks,

4. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Herbal trouble:))))

Dear Safa,
    I get the point. Both these herbs are not widely used in our indian cookery and also they have very distinct flavours and one should use them with care if using in our indian cooking.
    Thyme is more adaptable to indian recipes. Try using it for naans or rotis for a different flavour. Potatoes, like roast potatoes also adapt well to their flavour. Sprinkle fried or roast potatoes with these herbs along with other spices and try it out. As already suggested, try making herbal rice...fry some pepper, onion and garlic, add the rice and herbs and season with salt. We quite like that in our house. Another very good use is to make herbal butter and this can be used to spread on toast, rotis or any other veggies...Make a fine paste of garlic, salt, chilli powder and the herbs and mix it thoroughly into butter and refrigerate and use as and when you need it. These are some ways that I use them and hope you would like to try it out. Other than the above, Chatkara_tasty has given good links. Look it up.
    Oh yes, you can also make tea out of them...just pour boiling water on the herbs and let it brew for sometime. strain and drink. It has a calming and soothening effect and herbs are good for you anyways:)

L, Kamla

6. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Herbal trouble!

Ha ha ha........This title is very suitable..
    Dear Kamla,
    I will follow all the instructions you have given..
    About tea, there comes another trouble, two large packs of Arabic tea and coffee is there.....:mrgreen: It is also given with flower water, olive oil etc...

Dear Heena,
    The two links are very helpful. Thank you so much...

Thanks Kamla and Heena for helping me in this herbal trouble,

7. gauridatta

gauridatta New IL'ite

Re: Herbal trouble:))))

8. chitkan

chitkan New IL'ite

my sister has both fresh at home and uses this for her soups...chitra

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Re: Herbal trouble:))))

Dear Gauri,

Basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme..are all widely used in the Italian cooking and pasta is their staple food anyways.... these herbs and pasta go really well together.
    When you make sauces to go with the boiled pasta likes spaghetti, maccaroni etc etc, add all these herbs to it. It will have a great flavor. If not, add the finely chopped herbs to heated olive oil or butter along with some chilli flakes, garlic and salt...after a minute or so, add the cooked pasta to this mixture and toss well and serve with the prepared sauce. It can also be sprinkled on top of pizzas. You can also cook veggies like finely chopped carrots, beans, corn kernels, mushrooms, cauliflower, peas etc...either single or a combination of the above veg in a white sauce, add grated cheese and chopped herbs and serve it on toast or with pasta or garlic rice or even plain rice along with a tossed green salad. Oh yes, you can use it in salads too. Try some combinations and later you will definitely find many ideas and the fantasy has no boundaries. :-D
    It can also be used in grilled sandwich or toast, just sprinkle on top of cheese.
    If you eat eggs, it can be used in scrambled eggs or to flavor an omelette.
    Just take care that you use the herbs carefully as too much of it can make the taste overwhelming as they all have very strong flavor. Hence, if using it to flavor the rice or pasta, then don't use it in sauce and vice versa!

L, Kamla

Hello kamla thanx for the recipe for thyme, i also have got marjoram, oregano and thyme in my house and want to know some recipes that can be easily prepared by these spices and tastes well.
    how can u prepare pasta with these spices if can give me some hints

Thanx for the rice recipe
    regards gauri
    :2thumbsup: [/quote]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  10. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Very simple use for oregano, thyme, dill weed, marjoram:

Warm olive oil
    half teaspoon of dried herbs (above ones) and freshly ground pepper

mix both and you have dipping sauce which tastes yummy with freshly baked baguettes.

another use for the above herbs is in mashed potatos

In making bruschetta that tastes devine with fresh bread.

bruschetta is nothing but finely diced fresh tomatoes slightly cooked in olive oil and the above spices (amount varies with tastes) with a dash of salt