1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to teach writing ABCs and numbers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sushmavja, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

experienced moms,can you please tell me how to make my DD start writing..she is attending a play school and is 3 yrs 3 months now..she can read all alphabets and numbers,but i feel she is a bit late in writing skills and she isnt good at colouring too..can you people please share in your experiences..i know it may be early but then she vil be idle at home for 2 months before her schools KG1 starts..so wanted to make her learn writing alphabets..

thanks in advance,
    Sush

2. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sush,

Hold her hand and make her write on dotted alphabets. She will soon learn.

3. sushmavja

thank u anila...have been trying that..but she doesnt even sit for a while..so am trying for some methods which will be fun for her

4. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

hi sushma

does ur DD holds her pencil properly with her 2 fingers. chk out many kids feel irritated and uncomfortable to write when they are practised to write with 3 fingers touching the front part of pencil.

instead of book writing give ur kid small blended stick which she can hold exactly like a pencil and tell her to draw or write in sand or flour. kids enjoy this method of writing.

as u kid can regognise alphabets and nos. tryto give her count and match, count and circle, count and write circle the correct alphabets for the picture , match the picture with the alphabets etc....... so she can get the interest in drawing lines and circles and automatically she will get interest in writing part.

for coloring part buy some water colous and enjoy timing with her making thump prints finger and palm prints veg prints and give her a thickbrush so she can herself try to use the colour but see to it she holds the brush just like the pencil.

5. sushmavja

navis thanks for your reply..very nice ideas..veggie printing,finger printing she has been doing at her preschool..vil try giving her thick brush..
    she is comfortable using pencil but doesnt hold it for a while..vil try the your idea about writing in sand or flour..
    and one more thing..i have taken printable traces and am making her practice A now..what i observe is she writes one line i mean one stroke of A and then she removes the her hand..she vil talk or see something..and then again continue to write..so to write an A, she is taking three attempts for each line..vil she be able to learn like this?

6. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

hi sushma

is she the first kid, do she have any sibling .i am asking this becoz single kids at home try to get their parents attention for each and everything good or bad they do.that might be a reason for her 3 breaks while writing A.she is watching ur patience. cool out . try to leave her to do her work alone. just fix a timing. tell her she should complete the page before the big hand of the watch comes to certain no. this interest the kid. i know bribing a kid for with some chocolates is wrong but it really works for kids ask her to complete the page alone within the time and if she does do offer her the promised chocolates. but please dont make it a habit.otherwise u wilbe cursing me for this habit.:rant:rant:rant
    kids hardly sit more than 15 minutes in the same place ,they are made for it. their energy doesnt allow them to stand for it ,so try out more creative and fun learning within the time and gradually once they get interested to it go on increasing the timing but see it should never be more than 45 minutes..even a full grown brain cannot store continous information more than 50 minutes.

7. sushmavja

navis thanks a ton for your inputs dear..she is alone, has no siblings..and yes she wants all my attention at times..she will say mama see this..is this nice n then only she will proceed for the next one..hmm...bribing with chocolates is something her dad does..which are more than enough for a daily limit..so i cant do tht..so i bribe her like playing her favourite rhymes or give her my tablet to play for sometime..i am making her do alphabet tracing from past two days and she is kind of interested as i am taking some printable online and she is excited that these are coming out of the printer(new thing to her)..so today immediately after milk she asked me " mamma i want to write C" :)

8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sushma,

The first step to writing would be to hold the pencil and guide it in the direction we want. Instead of making her start writing alphabets rightaway, make her hold the pencil and scribble any pattern she wants. This will make her comfortable holding the pencil. To increase her interest, buy her a set of color pencils so that she can play with colors.

Once she is comfortable holding the pencil, buy the pattern drawing books. They are for 3+ yrs kids and are available in many stationery shops. They have various patterns in dotted lines which the kids need to trace. They start with simple straight lines and move onto curves. Make her practice this book for about a week, few mins a day and she will find it much easier to trace or write the alphabets.

9. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

hi sushma

happy to hear ur DD is showing interest in writing
    hey nobody other than mother knows her kids interest and u did it
    keep going and sure ur DD will learn everything beautifully .
    with lots of love and blessing

navis

10. sushmavja

orion,
    thanks a lot for your valuable inputs..yes am also giving her tracing activities..also she had done them at school..