1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Teach Times Tables

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by wings2010, Sep 4, 2018.

1. wings2010

wings2010 Senior IL'ite

Hi Dears,
    How to make my kid strong in multiplication times tables. Please share your ideas and experience. Also suggest ideas for making very good at math. My kid is 8 year old.
    Thank you

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

You may get more appropriate suggestions if you specify whether you live in India, the US, or elsewhere.
    :beer-toast1:

3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

I started teaching time tables to my DD when she was 5. Playfully we used to recite 1 and 2 tables. I used to ask her to repeat at next day. Then the following week we moved to 3 table and reviewing 2 table also. It went on like that and that helped her a lot in the class work. When the teacher gave the hw of time tables, she used that time in other things.Further she informed me that many kids found it difficult to memorize the time table in her class.

What we need is to start at early age, they won`t feel the time tables as a burden that time. More than that we should have patience to do it repeatedly.You can motivate your kid by awarding something if he tells a time table correctly.

Amulet likes this.
  4. wings2010

wings2010 Senior IL'ite

I live in India, Bangalore

5. wings2010

wings2010 Senior IL'ite

Yes. Thank you for valuable suggestions. As said everything in mom's hands. I was unfocused when he was young, but we managed now. Regular practice works.

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Memorizing the times tables is good. It will free the mind for other manipulations in basic arithmetic. However, it is important to teach the child where multplication comes from. Make an effort to convey that multiplication is simply addition in groups. Show that it's not magic.

Take a look at this video. Use buttons - or just collect a lot of little circles from a hole puncher - to show how multiplication works and why 2 x 4 (two groups of 4) is the same as 4 x 2 (4 groups of 2). You can ask her to lay out buttons (or paper circles) for various combinations on demand and make a game of it.

The child will soon see that memorizing the tables is a shortcut. Demystification will reinforce understanding.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Anisu and shravs3 like this.
  7. wings2010

wings2010 Senior IL'ite

Thank you dear. Will do

8. wings2010

wings2010 Senior IL'ite

Also I feel we r reading for long time. No time for extra reading apart from two hours play for my kid. How u all manage to learn extra for Olympiad etc