1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Talk About Periods With My 10+ Dd?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by MumsWorld, Aug 23, 2017.

What age should you tell your girl about periods

1. 9years

2. 10years

3. Wait till they get it?!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MumsWorld

MumsWorld New IL'ite

Dd is 10+ and is exhibiting signs of thelarche....pubic hair enlarged tender breast tissues...since a few months.I want to tell her about periods to keep her prepared. But how??!
    How should I talk to her so that it doesn't create unnecessary panic or curiosity and bring up unnecessary topic of discussion among the girls gang.
    One of my friends talked to her 10year old and even had a word about boy friends love commitment n all which I would like to avoid .I fear it may generate unnecessary curiosity n attraction. DD and her group have no inclination towards such talks,serials or anything at this point of time.
    Senior mums...plz guide!

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Tell her the biology of how a woman's system functions to get periods.That is enough.

teenulahari and Naari like this.
  3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Make it as simple as possible , you should find animations online . This is also a good time to talk about good / bad touch ( if you already haven't ). It's important that she realizes what appropriate behavior is and is also comfortable with her own body.

4. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Bronze IL'ite

My daughter just started first grade (will be 7 in December) and I already told her about periods a couple of weeks ago and how she she will probably start getting it sometime when between the ages of 11 and 14 (I was 13 when I started). I explained it in an age appropriate way about how woman make special eggs for making babies and that once you start your period, you will bleed for a few days once a month until you are married and decide you are ready to have a baby (will probably tell her exactly how the babies get made when she's around 9 or 10 but now I told her the daddy gives the mommy a special medicine seed when they decide they are ready to have a baby). I showed her my collection of pads and tampons and explained how they work. She was a bit worried but I told her she probably won't get it until she's at least 11 or 12 and by then will be grown up enough to handle it. When she gets it is WAY too late as she may think she's dying or horribly ill without any knowledge about what's happening to her body.

5. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Good, it worked for u. But maybe babies part can confuse at a very young age as between 7 to 10 or 11. In 10th stand , CBSE BOARD EXAM , we learnt about periods in detail, with baby part. 15 to 16 years, girls can understand better with out any fears about motherhood(a beautiful thing BECAUSE OF WHICH WE R ALL BORN). I UNDERSTAND WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT. IAM HAPPY TO SEE A MOM WHO PROVIDES SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE TO HER DAUGHTER. MY MOM ALSO WAS LIKE U, SHE TOLD ME BY 8 YEARS ABOUT PERIODS. I DID TAKE IT CASUALLY. BUT EGGS PART ONLY WHEN I WAS IN TEENS SHE TOLD ,later we studied. SHE WAS WORRIED A LOT ABOUT ME , HEALTH ETC.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2017
    salad likes this.
  6. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Bronze IL'ite

There is a different way of explaining it to kids this age than to high school students. I told her it's a special woman's egg that grows inside the woman once a month but it's much smaller than the egg we eat. When a girl is about 12, her body starts to make those eggs, too. If you don't want to have a baby yet, the egg hatches out of the body once a month with a little bit of blood for a few days. When you want to have a baby, you get a special baby seed from the daddy that will grow the egg into a baby inside the woman's body. (I also have a son that will be 2 in December) and she remembers when I was pregnant with him and the baby was growing inside my tummy. She never asked how it got there back then. But a couple of weeks ago, her friend's mom announced she was pregnant and my daughter asked how the baby got there. Coincidentally, the neighbor's 12 year old daughter had just started her period and when we went over the next day, she had to tell us that she couldn't go in the pool because she was on her period so I thought both incidents coinciding was a good time to start the simplified version of "the talk" with her.

sindmani likes this.
  7. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Fine. Hope it doesn't confuse child and they get little anxious. That is what I was trying to say. Yes u have done a fine job. Maturity level of kids differ. Ur kid has the maturity , so things will turn around.

8. MumsWorld

MumsWorld New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply dear. That daddy story is a wonderful idea :)

sindmani likes this.
  9. MumsWorld

MumsWorld New IL'ite

I agree. This is what was my concern exactly. I am not willing to talk about boys marriage babies at all at this stage and push her mind towards what she might not be into otherwise for the next few years. But then all kids are different and its great the way SilvernGold put forth her DD :)

sindmani likes this.
  10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

If u feel otherwise , u need not say about babies now. When she attends her age , u can tell her about eggs release , which breaks to release periods . By 15 or 16 years u can tell about motherhood. I am sure they will have this health topics their BIOLOGY TOO. EXPLAIN THEM (teens)THAT u r going to say about how we are all born in this earth and BECAUSE OF THIS WONDERFUL THING THAT BEAUTIFUL KIDS ARE BORN .