how to take electronic goods to India?

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by neetu, Apr 26, 2007.

1. neetu

neetu Junior IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    My friends and family members back home have requested some electronic goods like microwave , camcorders, etc. I need to know which items i can carry duty free? Where can i find information regarding this. Would it be a good idea to ship heavier items like a microwave? Also i need to buy dvd player for my parents, is the price difference between India and US worth it getting from here. Some tips and sugesstions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    Because of the voltage difference between India and US, i think it is not worth taking microven etc, as you need to use the converter.
    It may cause un-necessary problems at customs.
    Most of the things you get it in India itself.
    For DVD player: there is difference between the DVD players (you can't use indian DVD's in US DVD player. YOU need to buy the 'PAL' DVD system.

It is much easier to buy these electronic items in India itself.

Good luck,
    Punitha

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Agree with Punitha,it just does not make sense because of the voltage diff to buy electronic products here and send to India.One of my relatives got a microwave from here for India,without realising the voltage difference,used it there and it exploded! Waste of money and resources.

Everything is available thesedays in India itself at reasonable rates.

4. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I too agree with Punitha andsunitha....Let me tell what our parents experienced.
    Actually while they came here for my sister's delivery, they got microwave and grill.As far as taking to India i don't think we have a problem, becoz my mom carried it(no problem in customs),but they need converter to run in India..which cost some 2300/- for them to get that...

As weight was more she left grill here, recently sent that through my brother-inlaw who came for office trip...that has reached them safely...

DVD player, i think now-a-days we get good one in India itself with reasonsable price..You can buy digital camera, SDcard, USB drive, webcam etc.,

While surfing i saw this in some online baazaar they sell 1GB Digital card for 3,100/-,where as here 2GB cost ony12-15$. We got webcam in Bangalore for 1300/- which works well only in good light,but which we got here for 5$(sale) works good than that...

Regards,
    usha.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  5. neetu

neetu Junior IL'ite

Hey friends, thanks for the good tips , i'l carry digital cam and camcorders instead. by the way any ideas what gifts would be suitable for young girls in family in India from here, anything that is not found there? Thanks a lot. :)

6. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I think any sterling set is good if you get it in sale, recently in Macy's sale i got 25$ worth for 6.25$....Scrubs are also good idea(again you have to be concious about their skin compatibility).(age above 16)

It is really difficult to list as now-a-days you started getting almost all things in India itself..

As of now only these comes in my mind, let me update once i recall things...

Thanks,
    usha

7. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    It is very hard to convince relatives in India that about the things available over here and India.
    Initially I brought some lipsticks, fancy jewels, perfumes, dresses etc.
    They didn't like the dresses, they were not happy about the fancy jewels, as it was not that expensive. Again with lipsticks - color didn't suit them.
    Perfumes are really expensive.
    So finally I gave up taking anything other than to my parents and my brother.
    I take lots of chocolates, pista and distribute to neighbours and relatives.
    Whenever I visit very close relative, I take fruits, sweets etc to their house.
    SOmetime I take the girls to dress shop and ask them to buy whatever they like.
    This time, I am going to take chocolates and 2 drinks bottle.

Good luck,
    Punitha

8. Eswarisivaram

Eswarisivaram New IL'ite

Hello
    I have purchased a cordless phone that works in 110V for my use in India. Pl guide me to use it at India. Would anybody tell me where (in which shop) I can get the power adapter in Chennai or Madurai and how much it cost to me.Tks.
    Eswari

9. deepat

deepat New IL'ite

Hi Eswari

U can get 110v to 220v convertor in many places in chennai . Best place to look for is Richie street . It should cost ard 1000bucks.

Cheers
    Deepa