1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

How To Store Salt,tamarind, Pickles

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kalcandu, May 8, 2018.

1. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

Dear ladies,

How do you store salt and other such sensitive/reactive stuff in your kitchen like tamarind/jaggery? I am confused which is the ideal container to buy to store salt,whether ceramic/glass. Please suggest some ideas. I used to store salt in plastic container and once it reacted and started turning blue(both the salt and the plastic spoon) I now use wooden spoons in my pickle jars.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@kalcandu spoons should be removed from pickle jars. i use a fresh spoon everytime i serve.

salt ideal ceramic or glass. olden days great grandma stored it in mud pots. then the traditional ceramic jar/ peengan jadi/ bharni.. 8DA3DD50-A577-4549-B01E-0C07D906FCDC.jpeg

same goes for tamarind and pickles.

my ready to serve pickles even sugar for coffee are again in smaller ceremic jars.like this
    C0817FD3-F6A7-4E46-AA0D-9BC7BE2E6FD0.jpeg
    the chutneys abd thokku that i keep in fridgr are in glass jars or bottles.

66E2E53E-FB01-42B4-B18B-3A7112513007.jpeg

oil in glass bottles..
    before storing pickle in the jar check jar for seepage. one year i use a new one abd did not realise it had a cracl and lost the yrs pickle

pics used for reference from net

kalcandu and lavii like this.
  3. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot Shanvy. I once tried storing salt in a bharni but the opening is too narrow to grab the spoon.also very heavy to lift and replace on shelf every time while cooking. Small glass container seems like a good idea. Thanks.

Ya olden days were so nice because people lived in joint families and had a great collection of peengan jadis of amazing sizes. My mom and grandma have an enviable collection of glass and ceramic containers but they are oversized for my family size. I am also scared of using glass in my kitchen as I can be clumsy in handling them. I have glass container only to store small quantity of pickle in fridge.