1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to stop thumb-sucking habit

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Karthiga, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Re: finger sucking

My mom told me I was finger sucking till I was 4 yrs old. Then one fine day my mom tied a cloth around my finger in thick layers and by morning I had stopped sucking my finger completely.You can give it a try.Good Luck.

2. b86monica

b86monica New IL'ite

My 17 month old daughter have a habit of thumb sucking. She usually does her left hand thumb. I have tried bandid as doc suggested. Now she started to thumb suck with her right right. I tried doing for both hands but she is finding very hard to sleep. what to do ???

3. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Monica, my daughter also used to suck on her thumb a lot. She is now 16 months old. When she was around 14 months, I started putting bandage on her thumb. And as you said, it was hard for her to falls asleep but in few days she started soothing herself...Also, she has this favourite dog as her lovey for nap and sleep time...

Thanks
    Meeta

4. Shivashakthi

Shivashakthi New IL'ite

Baby thumb sucking remedy

Hi ILadies,

Has anyone tried and succeeded in stopping baby sucking thumb using any home made remedies. Please tell me your success stories, would be great help to stop my 1yr old baby from sucking her thumb.

Thanks
    Shivashakthi:idea

5. kj2008

kj2008 Senior IL'ite

Thumb Sucking Advice???

Hi all,

My 9 mnth boy has taken to thumb sucking. I wanted to wean him off the breast. He used to have feed at night which was/is a must. So to wean him I didn't feed him breast milk at night. But he started sucking his thumb instead and when he needs a sleep he always sucks his thumb whether at night,morning or afternoon naps.

Pl advice to remove this habit??? :spin

6. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Re: Baby thumb sucking remedy

Dont worry about it. Its her sense of being secure. People try wrap the thumb with something bitter or plaster but it will only trouble the child. The habit will wear off by itself. Give the kid something to do with her hands whenevr you find her putting her thumb in her mouth like a toy or water to play with or something whoch will distract her.

Dont forcefully pull het thumb away . Give her something bright or colorful that she herself takes it out.

Bottomline : Dont fret , the habit will wane away.

Deepa

7. umasridharan

umasridharan Senior IL'ite

Re: Baby thumb sucking remedy

Dear Sivasakthi
    Dont worry, it will go off. If she tries to put her thump into her mouth, give her a toy or make her laugh or play to distract her.
    Uma

8. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

Re: Thumb Sucking Advice???

please search for the thread which has already been started on this topic. it had good answers.nxt to the quick links..there is one for search...just so that if you need.

9. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Re: Thumb Sucking Advice???

I merged all the thumbsucking threads including the one muzna pointed out. So, just read through this thread and you may find some answers.

kj2008, my daughter has been sucking her thumb since day one (in fact, it always showed up in the ultrasound too). Anyway, my pedi told me not to worry about it until she's 4 years old. Kids usually let go of this habit by that time. Secondly, since you are weaning him off, him taking to his thumb will make this transition easier for both of you, since he has found a new transition object - his thumb instead of you.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Raj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.