1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop the tendency to snack something always?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Focus, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Focus

Focus New IL'ite

Hi :wave,

i am having a tendency to eat something always. pls give some ideas to stop this tendency and be strict in my diet and to have only healthy foods. Any :goodidea: to reduce my eating habit are most :welcome.

2. juana

juana Bronze IL'ite

Keep snacks out of the house. When the need to snack arises drink water or have a fruit. Chew gum...this is said to help. Keep busy...start working or settling the house..make a phone call.

3. Focus

Focus New IL'ite

hi,
    I am a dibetic too. Its very tough to maintain diet without oil, sweet, etc. i cant even take my favorite fruits too.:spin

4. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Try eating cooked beans/lentils ( sundal in tamil ) as a snack. They are supposed to be good for diabetics too since they are rich in fiber and protein. Make a variety of them and you will not be bored too. You will feel full also.
    Hummus dip with veggies can be a good snack. If you crave for fried foods, try making a healthier version at home ( bake it or grill it ).

I dont follow this all the time but this helps sometimes.

5. Meera34

Meera34 New IL'ite

Try to think why it is that you are always snacking. If you're snacking in response to hunger, it shouldn't be cause for alarm. If you're snacking from boredom, or just to occupy yourself, do something else like walking, jogging or cleaning up (or anything else to keep yourself occupied).

Here's something that I follow: If I want to eat something, I rate how hungry I am from 1-10 with 10 being famished. If I rate my hunger over 5 or 6, I eat something, the quantity and food type depending on how hungry I am, otherwise I wait for an hour or two. It works for me to stop snacking endlessly.

Often, I also find that I'm just thirsty when I feel like I want to eat something. So I first drink a glass or two of water before eating something and that mostly helps keep the snacking in check.

6. mankan

mankan Gold IL'ite

hi ,
    i too drink hot water whenever i want to snack and it really works. and 1 more tip when i feel like to snack i just tell myself ,wait for 30 mins,then u eat...and after 30 mins,i dont want to eat.so it has helped me a lot.
    thanks.

7. RainLady

RainLady Senior IL'ite

I second meera, you have to find why you want to eat. Is it boredom or hungry? I always chew gum when I want to snack because I am bored. It helps me.

8. Focus

Focus New IL'ite

Hi aswini, meera, mankan, Rainlady Thanks for your replies.

I dont think it may be because of any other reason. Its mere boredom and my craving for tasty food :hide:.
    I will try your suggestions. having sundals, veg salad , starting some works and keeping myself busy, all are good. i will try to follow :thumbsup.
    Especially chewing gum is a new :idea for me.

9. juana

juana Bronze IL'ite

Since you are a diabetic I presume you have to keep eating every few hours. So your snacking habit starts there ! Am I right !
    It sure must be difficult having oil free sugarless stuff all the time. There are a lot of healthy options available other than ofcourse fruits and vegetables.
    For one sugar free Indian sweets and pastries are easily available. The fat content though maybe the same as the regular goodies. Try out stores around you for these healthy options.
    For savoury diet snack which are oil free you could try Nuts & Spices. They stock a wide range of tasty snacks.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  10. Focus

Focus New IL'ite

Hi juana Computer Typing ,
    Yes it must be the case. You have found out the secret :rotfl.

Though sugar free sweets makes my purse slim :), i can try once in a while.
    But i will try low calorie nuts and spices :cheers.