1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Shut Up Mean Mils ?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by KayaCholan, Feb 15, 2019.

1. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

My MIL was doing this and I told her to the face and she stopped. FIL once entered when I was breastfeeding and got an earful from DH and that was it.

GlobetrotterG, Sunshine04 and shravs3 like this.
  2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

There is a world called communication. Why is sex considered as taboo topic ?
    Just let MIL know that they need privacy. Instead of using her brain to devise such a way if she would have used her mouth to talk or used her hands to install a lock it would have been better. Sorry to say but this thread is created in such a poor taste.

GlobetrotterG and SinghManisha like this.
  3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Why blame the MIL? this is a case of the newly married couple ( or the husband maybe) not using their common sense and installing a lock.

4. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Yes correct that’s what I felt .. why there is no much drama and plan for such small thing ..

5. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Op leave that teaching lesson to mil part .. what is stopping your friend to put locks to rooms atleast for bed room ..? Today mil .. and tomorrow relatives .. do they have kids ..? How they will teach lesson to kids of small kids ran into bedrooms ..? Why so much drama ..? Just install locks it would have solved prob completly .. and you think it’s a smart way to solve that prob ..?

GlobetrotterG likes this.
  6. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

No, something similar happened in our case. Apartment rules mandate no locks to any rooms (fire safety I was told). So possible that locks to rooms are not allowed. But telling face to face should be enough. In my case, they used to take care not to come in when DH was in, but not when I was alone. Told her once that I might be changing, doing something private and I don't like if it she just barges in. She just bided by it. FIL, not so much, but after that one incident, he never came in without knocking.

Sinant likes this.
  7. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

My mil walks in if the door is open, but wouldn't barge in if the doors are closed.Fil never enters my room as he is very dignified.I once caught my mil red handed trying to open my cupboard and asked her what she was doing.She was curious but never repeated it again.Most Indian families aren't taught to knock or ask before coming in.I was raised differently and always knock or ask before entering my parents/pils room.Its better to install locks or tell them politely.It works!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    GlobetrotterG and shravs3 like this.
  8. KayaCholan

KayaCholan Bronze IL'ite

Hi guys,

Everyone wondering why couldn't put locks - it was a rented house and they cant install locks without reaching out to the owners through the real estate agent. This whole process took a month or two and the inlaws were visiting at that time. My friend also told her MIL not to enter the room when locked, she also used the word 'privacy' instead of actually spelling out the word sex. It didnt work. She spoke to her hubby about it and asked him to say something but he didn't take her seriously because he kept saying they are here only for a short time etc (until he saw reason eventually).

Anyway, this thread is not about that particular example but just understanding that sometimes inlaws in our culture can be intrusive and controlling and no amount of sweet taking or open conversations can help. Sometimes we have to resort to other means to solve an issue - might mean being manipulative or using the hubby as a mediator without coming across as a bitch.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Interior doors at home open inwards; haven't they heard of "Door Stops" ? lots of objects can be used as door stop wedgies.
    Or buy one from the local market, or flipcart, amazon, bigbasket etc..

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We are Indians, ma. Privacy is a western concept. The DIL comes into the household and suddenly the son is all about privacy and door locks.

===
    Anyway, how can anyone just barge into a married couple's room is beyond my comprehension too. Not only that, it is considered rude and unloving to tell a brat not to climb on the bed where the couple are resting or will be resting. The sight of dusty footprints and grimy handprints on the bedsheet is enough to turn off the yet-coy new bride. I've been witness to many a morning-after-wedding-night scenario where little pests in the form of kids of relatives/guests insisted on entering the still-closed room of the newly weds, and smiling, indulgent parents commenting that munna/munni could not wait to meet new aunty.

Good Lord, even to an innocent 10 or 12 year old me (pre mills&boon age), it struck that something was not right.