1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Shut Up Mean Mils ?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by KayaCholan, Feb 15, 2019.

1. KayaCholan

KayaCholan Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I know there are lot of DILs here suffering in the hands of mean MILs. Ofcourse there is two sides to the coins and many MILs are also suffering in the hands of mean DILs too. But this thread is focused on MILs who give tough time to DILs and take them for granted. I want to know what are some of the good lines you have said to your MILs to shutup her up ? Or good ways you have tackled an issue. I think it could be good lesson to all young women here and also women who are afraid or cannot stand up to their MILs.

I will start with an example: My friend and her hubby moved into a new home and none of the rooms had locks. Her MIL would enter my friends bedroom anytime she wanted during the day mostly but without knocking. My friend hated this is lack of privacy and indirectly tried to make her stop by this habit but it didnt stop. She would indirectly say to MIL we are going to rest and have a nap for an hour, but MIL would still barge in to take something from the room or take charger or something ! This stopped my friend being initiate with hubby in the fear of MIL walking in. But since non of the indirect things worked, she devised a plan. One weekend after lunch she told her MIL I am going to take a afternoon nap and followed hubby to the bedroom. As usual she knew MIL will barge in some 30 mins later to take something. So she decided to get intimate with hubby and get into it. As expected MIL barged in, my friend and her hubby were in the middle of private time. MIL immediately closed door and went off embarrassed. Later in the night my friends hubby told his Mom - 'please knock the next next time you come into the room, especially if the door is closed'. MIL learned her lesson and never opened their door when its closed.

I think the lesson I take from this is, sometimes if you cant find direct ways to convey a message or stop a behaviour then you can still find other ways to convey it. Just need to be smart and sometimes use other props for it haha

2. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

I wonder what goes thru in these MILs minds? I mean who would just barge into a married couple's room even if it is your own son, especially if the door is closed. I mean seriously??? I still have a long way to go, but I just cant imagine doing this to my child. Its so gross.

Rihana, shravs3 and Sunshine04 like this.
  3. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

Whatever you say to them can come back and bite you. So better to let DH know and he tells her politely.
    If you have to say, always say with a smile. The tone and words we use always haunts us forever.

mirrorimage and Sunshine04 like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Would it have been that hard in the first instance to have had locks installed on the bedroom doors?

5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I second this

shravs3 likes this.
  6. Sunshine04

Mostly it comes through generations.
    Today's mil was a dil before. She would have been abused by her mil.
    So she feels she is entitled to do the same to her dil.

GlobetrotterG and shravs3 like this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

So true :roflmao:
    And then keep pestering to have kids :tearsofjoy:

Zxcv, Sinant, Anusha2917 and 3 others like this.
  8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

9. Sunshine04

:BangHead:
    Hehe

shravs3 likes this.
  10. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Would it hurt if she told the MIL directly to the face not to invade her privacy?

mangaii likes this.