1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How to remove rust stains from countertop?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by manjulats, Jun 17, 2009.

1. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

The bathroom counter top has some rust/orange color stains.I tried some bleach and scrub free products and even after brushing them , it remains.Any suggestions to remove this.

Thanks

2. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Manju, dont know never came across that problem.
    but do try asking in homedepot.
    i wanted to remove rust from metal, so they suggested me to use rustoleum to remove the rust and then paint it to protect it from rusting again. also a cleaning gel to remove the rust if i dont want to paint. so maybe they can suggest u some products.
    i dont remember the name of the cleaning gel. since i am preg dh has to do it outdoors andthe weather is bad , so we didn't try it yet.

3. vinayaka1979

vinayaka1979 Senior IL'ite

I dont usually advocate using harsh chemicals. But rust stains are pretty tough to get rid of. Have you tried CLR cleaner(calcium, lime and rust remover). You could get it in any retail store I believe

4. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Try using Barkeepers friend or BonAmi. These are non-abrasive cleaners with calcium carbonate. They work very well on rust.

-Uma

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Whink is a products to get rust stains out of clothes and it works on counters also. Be sure to wash it well afterward. It does not have a harsh odor.

Blood stains in clothing can also be removed with Whink.

Whink is in a little brown plastic bottle in the aisle with laundry detergent.

6. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Recently i tried cascade dishwashing soap on rust stains, turmeric /tomato etc stains on my white countertop and now the countertop is very clean and neat. just use little cascade, that itself bleaches the spot very well. i also added vinegar/baking soda to the mix and let it soak for a while and then scrubbed it. great results!

7. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Manjula,
    Did you try these products on the stain?I tried the lemon juice and baking soda combination.It worked very well on rust stains.try it.

8. farrahowens88

farrahowens88 New IL'ite

For my bathroom countertop, I have tried this procedure: First, scrub the area with a rubbing pad, then mix two parts salt with one part lime juice, then apply the paste into the rusted area and leave for about three hours then rinse with water. If your counter easily get stained, maybe the sealer is getting weak. It is best to ask your fabricator for the right brand to use because some might contain harsh chemicals that might damage the sealer of the counter.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  9. Minara

Minara Platinum IL'ite

I know it's not a cleaning product, but I have found that soaking a rag with coke and laying it on the rusty areas for a few hours before rubbing with the coke soaked rag (or a scrub) works for me. I have cleaned up lots of rusty things this way from times long before, even when I was living with my parents.

1 person likes this.
  10. kooldivya

kooldivya New IL'ite