how to reduce sour taste because of too much fermentation

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Binz85, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Binz85

Binz85 Silver IL'ite

I prepared dosa batter in 3:1 ratio yesterday evening.Added fenugreek and cooked rice(2 spoon) too..I kept it near heater room and forgot about it.Today evening only I saw it fermented and tried to make dosa..Its coming good but it has a smell because of too much fermentation..As I am pregnant I get smell even before I make it..

Any steps to reduce sourness and bad smell?..I dont want to throw it away..Any other receipies I can try?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

2. npri

npri Bronze IL'ite

Try adding finely chopped onion,tomato , coriander, chilli and curry leaves to make oothapam.
    You can also try paniyaram with that mixture.
    or

Tomato dosa or Raagi dosa with that batter so that u would not get that smell.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

There will a layer of batter and water when it is too fermented..just carefully remove that water and the layer. now add a 2 glasses of drinking water mix, and allow it to rest. after a hour or something you can again see the water on the top..slowly remove that water..and then check..sometimes the sourness and the smell of over fermentations leaves.

you can take a little rice flour/wheat flour and add to a small quantity of this batter. make dosas..if you like it continue the same way.

you can also make utappams with lots of onions, chillies..if you like..

4. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    Purchase rice flour from the Indian grocery and add some two or three tbsps of rice flour to the batter and mix enough water to dilute the batter.you will get good doses I hope.Shanthi's idea to drain the water will help I think.Try that too.

5. Binz85

Binz85 Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for your suggestions..Will try these and let you know the results..

6. DevimaHf

DevimaHf New IL'ite

Add boil (very hot)water to the stuff and mix well,keep aside for sometime,if you feel the batter is little watery,you can drain the water which is rest at the top. Hot water will remove the smell.