How To Prepare Rotis Quickly?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Needtobestrong, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I have heard that in America there are communities of large number of people from India. In those places, there are usually some aunties (even stay-at-home visitors, or immigrant parents) who are making and selling rotis, to make some pocket money of their own. My relative says that one has to order (and pay in advance so that the roti maker can buy atta ) ahead of time, and the roti's get delivered on the day. And then she simply brushes some water on top, and microwaves them to puff up, and serves. It tastes as if it is fresh off the tawa. And she saves the leftovers in the fridge for a couple of days, before the new order gets delivered.

Setting up a local in such a home-business would be the way to go, if there are not a few in the OP's town already. In our city, (we are a rice, not roti, eating people) there are similar home-businesses for appalam (papads) and vadaam (or vadagam; what is english for this?):
    upload_2018-9-11_7-45-31.jpeg
    Oh... found what it is called: Fryums

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Needtobestrong and poovai like this.
  2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

@poovai and @Amulet
    I'm settled in India..
    There are lots of North Indian and South Indian stalls and restaurants in my area where I could purchase rotis..of course, with food delivery apps we could order rotis etc and get them delivered home within 30 min..but we usually eat more of home made food as it's more good for health..only occasionally or when guests are coming we would order from outside..home made food is easier on the pocket as well, considering that I'm a home maker!
    FYI I have tried my best for arranging a cook, but due to some reason or the other they don't stay long (in my area cooks are expensive and arrogant, they either don't keep up timings, ir not available for my desired time, or keep on demanding excess money for some reason or the other, or else don't know how to cook our cuisine and mess up the food preparation)
    Hence I try to be self sufficient.

nimitakain likes this.
  3. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

@gamma50g and anyone else using food processor to knead atta:
    Please let me know what food processor you are using?
    Should be comfortably able to make atta for 10-15?rotis at a time. Max 20.
    I prefer a simple reasonably priced one just kneading atta ,I.e atta maker only.
    Living in India..so local brand pls.
    Does atta stick to the appliance? How to clean after Use?

4. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

I use the Cuisinart Custom 14 cup food processor. Cleanup is just swish swash. However, I'm based in US.

Ive heard good things about the dough kneading attachment that comes with the Ultra wet grinder in India, even though I have not used it personally.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  5. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

+1 for this method, and the results are very consistent in softness!!! I swear by this

Needtobestrong likes this.
  6. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

search for OPOS support group, this method is like adapting lifestyle, unless you are open to accept and de-learn the traditional cooking, you will not be happy with the results, once you get hang of the technique, you will not go back to old style of cooking, but it all depends on individuals and how open you are to welcome the changes!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  7. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I tried the kneading attachment with the ultra wet grinder. Did not work for me and cleaning was a mess.
    Do you use the chopping blade to make the dough in the processor or the blade for kneading ?

Anyone here use Tortilla press for chapatis ? Does it turn out thick ?

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I used once for methi theplas . It was quite thick! I wasn’t much satisfied with tortilla press. However I use it for other stuffs and work like charm

9. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

What does it work well for ? Plain rotis ?

10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

For Keto Rotis like flax seed rotis, Almond flour rotis and even modaks

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    troubledmom likes this.