1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Prepare For Second Child

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by eternalindia, May 2, 2017.

1. eternalindia

eternalindia Junior IL'ite

I have a 2 year old and planning for second child so there will be about a 3 year gap between them. What tips do you have to prepare mindset for second child? We will have some help from family but not that much, and will rely mostly on ourselves.

My biggest fear is that I am paying attention to one child for a minute and the other child wanders away or sticks something in their mouth and endangers themselves. Right now, I give 110% to my first child and have avoided catastrophes, preventing them from hitting their heads or touching fires, and am "always there" for them. I know this will no longer be the case if we have another child in the mix.

Thanks for any advice. Books to read are also welcome!

2. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Just added second bundle of joy 3 months ago. Ours is also 3 year gap and had same mixed feelings. We started out with daycare/preschool 2 days a week which helped us a lot. DC/preschool helped my son to be little bit independent. He started playing on his own, having food on his own, and a little bit considerate about surroundings but still he sometimes act like an normal 3 year old. Still we have to play with him and keep an eye on him but all in all its not much worrisome. He is being a very good big brother.
    We started watching Daniel tiger's neighborhood:Baby is here series. It also helped us a lot in creating an atmosphere that there will be a baby soon.

There is always a learning curve. I would say and may sound cruel but let them know action have consequences. You can't be there always hand-holding.

blindpup10 likes this.