1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How to plan out shifting of house from one place to another (long distance)?

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by imhappy, Apr 6, 2016.

1. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

Hi all!

This is second time I am moving my whole house from one place to another. First move was very hard for me as I was inexperienced, but even after that I don't have any clue how can I plan so that shifting things become smooth process. And there is no better place than IL because there are so many women here who have years of experience in shifting houses.

There are many questions in my mind. Last time when we moved, my refrigerator was smelling too bad even when we kept it out in sunlight for a day or two. I didn't empty the contents of refrigerator till packers and movers came to our house. So that was my mistake.

Then when truck arrived at our new place, packers and movers just throwed our clothes out of their canvas bags on floor, didn't helped us to carry washing machine at first floor, after our many requests they said yes to put double bed on bedroom of first floor, so in short, much inconvenience.

Please guide me this time so I can start to work from today only. Still we have 2-3 months left before move. I want all guidance.

2. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

Please help me out.

3. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

Sigh! I don't know if anyone can even see me thread which yearns for help.

4. Mery

Mery Silver IL'ite

Hii I can give u a small idea...try to put ur things in different cartons...and mark it like ur dresses kitchen utensils etc ...it will b easy for u to unpack after u shift ..

kalcandu and imhappy like this.
  5. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

Hey @Mery, thanks for the idea dear. Any advice is welcome. In my case packers and movers are going to give their cartons. Is it cheaper if we buy carton by ourselves only?

6. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

Only one member can help.. U have to keep this thread alive so that others can see...

7. DeepaMoha1

DeepaMoha1 New IL'ite

Hey dear, Shifting house is such a tedious process. We ladies have to put extra effort. Since u have enough time try the following. I tried the same.
    1. Declutter all unwanted stuff
    2. Pack all rarely used stuff in cartons - which u will not take in these 2-3 months
    3. Plan well. Make a list of things to be moved and classify like clothes, provision, utensils, books, electrical items etc. Try to minimise ur daily usage of things and pack the rest according to the classification.
    will update u later if any point strikes in my mind.

8. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP,

I can give you some pointers based on my experience, we have shifted many times in our 9yrs of Married life.

1) Never depend on packers and movers as they just dump everything, it wont help us in unpacking.
    2) As you have lot of time on hand, just declutter the things...segregate the items based on useful, good condition, donate, discard...you will get the idea which needs to be taken forward.
    3) Allocate 2-3 carton boxes to each room, kitchen might need 5 boxes also based on the stuff you have.
    4) Label every box before taping, it really helps in unpacking stuff in each room.
    5) you can start with clothes and atlast plan to pack kitchen.
    6) When there is 1week for your moving just clear off the fridge/freezer, so that it wont smell before packing.

Hope this helps...happy moving

imhappy likes this.
  9. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

1.Throw what not required. remove all Clutter
    2. Dont buy any new stuff
    3. try to finish eatables . It helps u save money as u still have few months. Plan grocery shopping accordingly.
    4. remove/donate clothes which u r planning to not use. keep few ( like tshirts) for cleaning at new place
    5. get a permanent marker n mark it with stuff in that box ,.. Like utensils , Shoes , Clothes..

10. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

Hey @sravanitenali and @sonal1611 thank you so much for ideas. I am going to start separating clothes from today only. It will take time and also I don't want to rush.