1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to nurture toddler's interest in cooking

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by karanu, Apr 24, 2015.

1. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Hi lovely mommies,

My DD is 3.5 years old and she is showing a lot of interest in cooking and anything to do with kitchen.......genes, I suppose as cooking is one of my passions :)

She asks me almost everyday "I want to help". She sits on the kitchen counter and observes when I'm sauteing some veggies or tadka. Then she insists she wants to cook and tries to grab the spoon/masala box from my hand. Or she would try to bring down all spice box, rice and pasta boxes etc from the shelf, grab the knife to cut vegetables which scares the hell out of me. I tried giving her some empty plastic boxes and spoons and ask her to make me something. She would sit for 5 min but then she would want to participate in the "real" deal. :)

I try to involve her in small tasks like rinsing rice, separating vegetables from the shopping cover and sorting them together in plastic covers. How can I involve her more? What other cooking related activities would be appropriate for her age? Ideas please.

Tagging @shanvy mam, @hrastro, @rakhii, @preethiitech, @ramyaramani for your inputs. Thanks!

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@karanu, thanks for the tag. my DD loves cooking too (same here...its in her genes). From the beginning, even before she could talk/walk, I used to get her to watch me cook. We bonded so much over food. Mine is almost 3 and half too. Knives are off limits but over a period of time I ave taught her to measure the ingredients.

Say if I am making pancakes/ cupcakes etc, she helps me measure the flour, add water and stir the batter. She has perfected making pan cakes now. She can even flip!
    As for veggies, I cut the veggies and she gets to wash them and put them in the pan. With assistance, she even stirs the pot.

Get her to measure things and give it to you. talk to her about the veggie. The color, how its grown (root veggies etc), how to cook etc. Mine likes to pluck the leaves from the mint bundle and curry leaf bundles.

1 person likes this.
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

while making chapatis, give ur daughter the dough , so she can make round balls, and even use rolling pin to make chapati.

For salad mixing
    raitha making
    microwaving anything
    arranging plates and spoons and filling water in glasses
    storing food in containers and putting the in the refrigerator

My two year old tried few days ago to do a chapati with rolling pin. he tries to imitate everything we do. He tied to imitate us by washing clothes in a tub 2 days ago.

1 person likes this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I hate cooking though I do it and god knows where mine got the interest from! Anyway I can happily palm off whatever she can do to her ;)

Measuring our rice and dale, Whisking eggs, separating leaves from the stalk (methi, curry leaves, coriander etc), cutting vegetables and fruit (mine started using a real knife from the time she was about 2.5 under intense supervision), clearing and sweeping the kitchen floor, squeezing lemon, rolling out roti dough, mashing stuff, mixing stuff...

Mine loves the tin with raw spices too, I get her to put in a spoon /pinch of seeds into a separate bowl which I can then add to the oil.

2 people like this.
  5. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

My little niece is interested in cooking.

I give her little chapathi dough while making chapathis. she makes her own. I dont let her cut veggies. Whenever she comes home, we cook together. Things that need mixing with hand, beating egg, separating curry leaves. I at times take her out for shopping. the little one knows how to select veggies. i dont let her near stove. rest little things she knows....its amazing how kids learn!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@karanu i am not getting the tag..so i just chanced on this thread.

it is just a phase that they want to try everything that you are doing..once in school it reduces a little..and then it catches enthusiasm as they watch cooking shows and then the real drill starts.. (kidding enjoy the phase)

we used to have a lot of talks while seggregating vegetables. putting them into bags..i had those netted bags.

I allowed them to peel vegetables..sepangizhangu/colcassia, potates especially.and even shallots..
    remove leaves and store them in boxes.coriander, curry leaves and mint.
    help clean greens too.

but this does not actually satisfy them. i know..

rolling rotis..making rounds for making rotis/puris. it helps them with hand coordination improving motor skills.

once a week/15 days we used to have these ummini kozhukattai..the mini steamed balls..as tiffin..so they got to sit and do it..takes a lot of patience..but the same size, the hand eye coordination and patience sets for say 30 minutes..then they move away.

making soppu for kozhukattai.. not necessary it should be a festival do it once a month. that will keep the creativity and interest up.

i allow them to pat adai on a plate..same goes for seedai, pressing the sevai nazhi/murukku press.

and no i never allowed them near the stove until they were older..

making bread sandwiches..jam/butter..gives her a lot of satisfaction. you only need to guide her to do it, then clean the mess..it gives her a way to keep things back in place. and also clean the mess.

mixing salads. arranging fruits, vegetables for salad on plate..gives creativity. you can also use biscuit cutter, cookie moulds to cut cucumber, carrots..the flower, duck, round,star shape, the small ones make nice shapes..the sense of thrill on the face...great..

later you can show her spooning batter into mini idli moulds.. yes there will be mess..without the messing we are not going to learn..and remember all this is fun and she will remember it for a long long time..my kids do...

always place a newspaper and work on it. she will learn.
    folding kitchen napkins, wiping and checking spoon grooves...
    simple things go a long way.

3 people like this.
  7. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Wow, everyone....thank you so much for these ideas. I gave a small ball of chapati dough and she tried to roll it couple of days back. She also helped me add dry spices to paratha dough and repeated when I said what each spice is.

Measuring flour - yet to try, I know she would like it, I'm just scared of the mess :-( But as @shanvy mam said, I need to allow her to mess things up.

8. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@karanu, my younger one has been stirring the pot with a ladle since she was a year old. I would be carrying her and cooking and she would hold my hand and stir.

Both my kids roll dough for chapatis, puris, pat thalipet, remove beans strings and trim the ends, remove leaves from stalks in case of greens and make cookies. They have come up with a recipe that involves jeera, saunf and whatever else they fancy goes into this. They shell peas (while in India), tear lettuce for salad, soak methi and almonds in the night.

The older one can make rice by himself and sandwiches too. He can pour batter and flip dosa. He also washes veggies and puts them in fridge and the veggie basket outside as applicable.

Both kids cut veggies with cutlery knife. They also pour batter into idli moulds, flip paniyaarams.

YOunger one loves to scrape butter from milk cartons ( half of it goes into her mouth). She loves to add butter to the vessel and stir it when making ghee (Under my supervision of course). Both kids have been told not to switch the stove on. the older one has been allowed to switch off the stove when the cooker screams.

They also help me clean stones from horsegram ( they dont like it much and they run away), measure and add dal, rice, water. They add ingredients to the mixie or grinder when I let them.

Both will also clean plates, cups and spoons. They are experts in this, training from the age of 18 months :)

Basically they do all that I do when at home. Like @Shanvy says, the interest in cooking goes away as they grow older ( many of my MIL's have told me this :( )

Of course, they don't do this all the time, only when it fancies them. The one responsibility that they have at dinner time is to fill the water jug and cups and place plates and cups on the table.

1 person likes this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@butterflyice and the interest comes back to bite you when they get hooked on to masterchef and you get irritated when you observe them trying to smell the vapor coming out of the dish lol...these days, it is al dente, crisp, too tart, too spicy, too bland that easily gets in to describe food..:rotfl.

@karanu mess is good..if you keep her away from mess then how will she learn it is ok to mess and also cleaning up mess. i know of kids who do not like anything sticky on their fingers..i like the hands on mess..

I know the back breaking cleaning too..:bang

10. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Haha! Too tart and too bland indeed!