1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to manage things when Living with Inlaws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by smilemoon, Aug 24, 2010.

1. smilemoon

smilemoon Senior IL'ite

hi, i am house wife, with a small kid. my dh is working abroad. i stay with his parents. life is not too easy cos i have to depend on them for everything. i generally adjust with people, but as days goes on i feel its becoming a habit and people take me for granted. wish to go for work but not able to cos my kid is small. i was working earlier but quit after marriage. i want to be more bold and talk my mind. sometimes i feel very lonely i cant even share my feeling with any one.i stay with mil,fil,and sil.i imagined life to be different for me.... when i listen to them always they think i am not capable of handling things alone so dont consider me. since my sil speak and get wat she wants people think she is smart.and i am not.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2010

2. vennelaaaa

vennelaaaa Bronze IL'ite

Re: hi friends

Hi Smilemoon....
    I can imagine how you feel. Its not easy living with others, specially with DH's family.
    Did you talk about the prospects of you moving abroad with your DH? If not, you should.

3. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Re: hi friends

Smilemoon,

It is happening in most of the households in a joint family system.Its natural for inlaws to implement double standards with respect to DIL's.It is difficult to make them understand and fight for equal rights.Let the smart people stay smart!

Please ignore them and proceed!I know that this is not the solution.Sadly,there is no real solution!

4. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

What do you mean by people taking you for granted? could you explain?

SmileMoon

You said you adjust well with your inlaws. so there is a good side to the situation too. Now if we read the whole post of yours, seems like the issue is more about how you had to stay back at home and not being able to work or have some freedom. So work on that. i.e talk to your husband and say you would start looking for jobs. You can leave the kid at day care part time or your inlaws can take care of them and you can take up a part time job or a temp job. Tell your husband that you would feel more active and happy if you are allowed to pursue something of your interest.

Also why dont you just go out of the house for a while during evenings. Make some friends. All of you go out with your kids as a play date. Get some break from sitting at home.

Basically you have too many things on your mind thats what is spoiling your peace. here it doesnt seem like inlaws are the main issue.

5. smilemoon

smilemoon Senior IL'ite

hi sri,

thanx... even i know i should these things. but i am not allowed. from small i have been a home bird.and generally dont go out... even if i like to. my parent brought me up like that. till clg my dad used to drop and pick me bck. and once i got married they treat me the same way... never go out.

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Please see this thread http://www.indusladies.com/forums/r...ws/106888-kids-and-inlaws-interference-2.html

Just similar problem like yours. Point is if you keep cribbing and worrying that THEY are not allowing you to do something, you would never resolve anything. Rather stand up and say , I am going out, take the kid and go. Inform them before going and just go out. Let them cry and complain for that day. Next day do the same thing. Go for a walk or to a near by park etc. If your husband asks you tell him that everyone needs some air, and you need some personal time so that you can get energized. Dont complain about his parents to him. Just say this half hour or 1 hr of evening walk would make you more active and energetic. and also your kid would love outdoors and learn more.

Take one step at a time. Dont see the big picture and get scared as to how to reach there. First step is going out of the house either for a walk or to a park. Try that

7. smilemoon

smilemoon Senior IL'ite

ok i will try doing this and get back to u in ten days....

8. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

In your case, I feel the best option is to get a job and keep busy. When you are at home all day with these people and have nothing to do, you feel depressed. Moreover, since you are well educated and capable of getting a job, why not get back to work. If taking care of the kid is a problem for your in-laws, suggest moving to your parent's place and getting a job there.

If you choose to be with your kid for some more time, why not start pursue some job-oriented course so that you can take up a job after 6-12 months.

9. anaconda1997

anaconda1997 Senior IL'ite

heyy i understand your position. its tooo dificult... i feel really pity for you.. please ask your DH to take you where he is...

10. smilemoon

smilemoon Senior IL'ite

hey sri... i took my daugther out for two days and she really enjoyed. but my bad luck she is now suffering frn high fever (102). feeling so bad. :( . i pray she gets well soon. and now my inlaws will say.... she is not feeling well since itoook her out.

and thanks for other frends... even i am going to lookout for a job.