1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to manage infant all alone at home

Discussion in 'Infants' started by priyaindusladie, Feb 28, 2016.

1. priyaindusladie

priyaindusladie Senior IL'ite

Ok , here's the picture!
    I had my DD who's 2 months now. I'm at home all alone entire day with the baby in the winter. I don't have any help means my mom wasn't able to come for delivery. I'm over it now. My question is how to manage time and to get a routine for the baby. I want to manage the house works so I don't feel tired or depressed when I do baby stuffs. I'm also BF.
    Give some tips from your experience dear ladies. I know this's precious time that I have to enjoy with the baby. But still it needs more than that to manage the infant all alone. I need positive energy now as this winter is taking me ....

2. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

First of all congratulations! I was in the same both 2.5 years ago and trust me it will get better! Only difference was my mom here to help for 2 months after delivery. Once she left we were all by ourselves. how is the sleep pattern of your baby because that's important element to have your schedule around it. My son too was EBF and used too have 2-3 feedings at nights. Some nights were very good with him sleeping at strech for 5-6 hours but some were sleepless.

So I used to get up early say around 6-6.30 prepare breakfast, prepare my kheer/porridge, and lunch till then DH used to take care of LO. I used to express milk and keep it so that my DH can feed my son whenever he used to wake up. Once DH left for office I used to bath him feed him and spend some time playing or skypeing with family in India. My LO used to have his first nap at around 9-9.30 and would wake up at 10.30-11. Thats when I used to take shower, have something to eat till then he used to wake up. With a feeding session and some play time he used to be ready for his big nap in the noon from 1 to 5, i used to have my lunch then and used to sleep with for 2-3 hours. In the evenings, I used to keep LO on the kitchen floor or in a swing so that he can see me and used to prepare dinner and some preparation for next day.

I would say involve your DH in chores like laundry, grocery shopping, dishwasher and some baby related chores too.

I know its overwhelming and winters make it worst but it will get better.

3 people like this.
  3. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

hi op,
    I have been taking care of my baby all by myself since he was 40 days old.
    Here are a few things that i do which might help you.

I cut veggies that i need during the week end itself (when DH is home to take care of LO) and use it for the rest of the week.

During week days, DH takes care of LO while I cook. He also bottle feeds the baby. I make extra food in the morning and have it for lunch.

Once DH leaves for office, i spend time with my LO and do stuff like laundry,cleaning the house etc when LO sleeps. I also start prepping for dinner and finish making it before DH returns home in the evening.

On the days tht LO does not sleep long (there are days like that too) ,I put him in his play gym (we got one when he was 2 months old). I do my work while LO plays, He usually stays there for atleast 30 minutes before getting cranky. I occasionally check him and also talk to him while I do my tasks.

At night , i do not get up to feed him. He feeds BM lying down (I keep his head elevated on my arm though).That way I have noticed that I am not tired during the day.

Some times,when nothing else works I hold him in one arm and do things like putting out clothes to dry,folding clothes ,arranging things,having my food etc.But I make it a point never to do this while I cook or cut veggies.

Hope this helps. Wishing you a wonderful time taking care of your LO

3 people like this.
  4. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Congratulations Priyaindusladies.
    And Bravo to Aspha and Teejay for valuable and practical advise.
    I had my sons when my twin daughters were only 3 years and i too managed it alone. All the tips that these too have given were in my book too.
    One excellent result of this is that the baby is used to be alone and does not demand constant pocking up.

Keep him in a cot or pram near you and keep on doing you work while talking to him , believe me this is the best bonding you will have. Also try to rest when he sleeps. getting yourself exhausted is counterproductive.

1 person likes this.
  5. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Have been done there, done that.

The golden time is in the early morning, from when you are able to get up till the time DH leaves for office. That is when you have DH to help watch over her. So make the most out of it.

For a long time, I used to get up very early, and finish cooking for the entire day in the morning itself. I used to run around the morning, multi-tasking and just finishing all work for that day. Side benefit: Your DH will think you are one awesome woman! :)

Once done, never enter the kitchen again till it is time for dinner. So you get the whole day to spend with your LO.

This means that you either get to sleep when she does, or do some other light housework when she is awake. Keep her in a swing/bouncer and go about your work. Talk to her all the time, and give her eye contact now and then. I used to just describe what I am doing at that moment.

Winters might seem lonely, but we are at the end of it, and in a couple of months, you will be able to take her out for walks in the sunshine. Postpartum depression is real, try your best to not let negative thoughts in your head. If you are living in an apt, have a friend come over for a few mins just to talk and relax.

Most important, never compromise on your food and health. Hugs to you and love to your LO. @aspha @teejay, Great job, mommies!

Remember, we were chosen to be awesome! In future, when you look back on this time, you will be able to do so with a huge sense of accomplishment and satisfaction! :)

2 people like this.
  6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations OP.

Ladies here have given great advice. I had nanny so not much to say. Days she was alone with me or us me means weekends were busiest and most stressful.

One thing I learnt, is rest or sleep while you can. Let your body recover the birth. Household chores can wait. 2 months is small, they do not know or demand much and are much much easier to handle. So enjoy and relax while you can.