How To Make Soft Idli? And Rice To Urad Dal Ratio?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sneha1985, May 19, 2018.

1. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

What is the idli rice to urad dal ratio you take to make the batter? I have seen different ratio's i.e. 3cups idli rice:1 cup urad dal or 4 cups idli rice:1 cup urad dal? Which is the right ratio? Also any tricks to make idli more softer other than fermenting it from 8-10hours?

2. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@sneha1985 Four cups rice and one cup urad dhal is the right ratio. You have to mix well the grinded flour with your palm to make the dough soft

GeetaKashyap and Sweety82 like this.
  3. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

My previous ratio was 1:4 but now 1:5 still Iam getting soft idlis. The thing I learnt is u have to grind uradh dhal very smoothly like a paste which should be like rolling over ur hand when u try to.u should add fenugreek also when u soak. First grind soaked idle rice smoothly take it out then grind uradh dhal nicely. Mix both completely. Actually everybody will do this.whatever I know this is the secret. Actually what @periamma said 1:4 is the correct ratio. But I have been using 1:5 ratio as long time practice.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  4. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

I use Idly rice and these days add 2 -3 tbsps of tapiaco pearls to rice while soaking. with fenugreek + urad dal mix adding tapiaco brings white fluffiness and softness to idlies. Ratio is 1dal : 4 rice

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

My proportion is 1 udad dal : 3 boiled rice rava.

I wash and soak udad dal + 1/4-1/2 tsp methi seeds+ 2 tbsp Poha or aval(optional) for a minimum of 5-6 hours. Soak rice rava also separately for 5-6 hours. While grinding the dal you may add 2 tbsp of cooked rice. This gives very soft and spongy texture to the idli. (Sabudana/Tapioca pearls also give the same effect.) Mix ground dal with soaked rava well and ferment overnight. Add salt before steaming idlis.

Tip: If the fermentation is not satisfactory for any reason, heat 1 tbsp water and add 1/4 tsp cooking Soda to it. Pour this bubbly mix to the batter and stir well. Rest for 5 mins and then steam fluffy idlis.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

My proportion for soft idlies are
    2 cups urad dhal( whole urad)
    2 cups idli rice
    1 cup cooked rice
    1/2 cup poha
    1/2 tsp methi seeds....

Wash and soak everything overnight and grind the next day and allow to ferment for 7-8 hours....
    Depending on the climatic conditions of your place, you can add a tsp of curd and mix well during winters and allow to ferment....
    This gives me soft idlis....

Misswonderful and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

I included my recipe in this post - Sago / Sabbakki Idli

8. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

I have a few questions for recipes that uses cooked rice.

Usually cooked rice one can soak in water and eat next day. But why include in idli batter that one keeps for a week ?

Is it healthy to keep and use cooked rice In batter for a week?

nandinimithun and GeetaKashyap like this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Hi HP,

I don't keep the idli batter for a week. I use it the next morning for breakfast. My family is very particular, we don't enjoy idlis made from old batter. However I do keep Dosa batter upto a week in the fridge and in that, I don't add cooked rice.:)

Adding cooked rice in my recipe is optional, without that also the idlis turn out super soft and fluffy.

HazelPup and Via like this.
  10. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Geetha. Was just curious as mostly many do Idlis for first few days and then use the same batter for dosa.

GeetaKashyap likes this.