How to make Icing(Cream) for Bithday cake at home?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by DST, Nov 3, 2011.

1. DST

DST Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I love baking and did multiple times at home. This time I want to make a Birthday cake for my DD's 3rd Birthday on Nov 10.

Please help me abt how to prepare the Icing from scratch and decorating. She wants a Pink Princess cake :). I'll buy some princess decorations available in store for the cake.

Please make my DD's B'day special with a homemade b'day cake.

Thank You!!

Admin Note: Read all about How to Get a Perfect Icing on Your Cake in our Articles section.

2. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

I used this recipe and it worked for me

2 cups confectioners' sugar, sift before measuring
    1 1/2 tablespoons butter, soft
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 to 4 tablespoons milk
    Preparation:

Combine all icing ingredients in small mixing bowl. Stir until smooth and well blended. Adjust for spreading consistency if necessary, adding more milk or more confectioners' sugar.

If you do not like Vanilla flavor then can use almond extract or any other flavors.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Crazymom's buttercream frosting recipe would be good. You can also use more butter in it and when you are beating best to use an electric mixer so it gets really fluffy. You will have to fiddle back and forth with the milk and the sugar until the consistency is just right.

I am also going to share my mother's chocolate frosting recipe so you can use it later.

1 can sweetened condensed milk (Milkmaid)
    1/2 can measure of milk
    2 oz dark baker's chocolate (not bittersweet..it is even darker you find it in the baking aisle)
    2 Tbsp butter
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla extract

In a double boiler put the butter and chocolate to melt. When it is melted stir in the condensed milk and salt and then slowly add the milk while stirring. Cook until it thickens (it will be thicker when it cools) and then add the vanilla. Let it cool and use for frosting. (super yummy!!)

Note: if you use one can measure of the milk, it makes a delicious hot chocolate sauce for ice cream.

4. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

For all those of you searching for easy ways to do icing on cakes, check our new feature:

Get a Perfect Icing on Your Cake

Hope this solves your queries. And if there's something more you'd like to know, do send me requests through private message.

Thanks.

Moumita

5. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

In our house everyone loves Fresh cream icing so its fresh whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence all whipped with electric beater for 5 min at least. You can add different things or color to this. For every one cup of whipped cream I use 1 table spoon icing sugar & 1 tsp vanilla. Taste & see if you think you need more sugar, I tend to be lighter on sweetness.