1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Make A Child Sit And Study?? Please Help..

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Oct 14, 2017.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My LO is going to kindergarten and I want her to write Alphabets.At home,I try to make he think practice but after few alphabets she gets bored.She just hates writing and says it's " complicated and boring"!!

I tried cajoling,being assertive,bribing,explaining,timeouts ,patient but nothing works.I told her no tv or outings and she is like "no problem".

Extremely adamant and stubborn.Very worried as this is no good.How to work
    On this??

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear anika987,
    I trained for nursery teaching after my voluntary retirement, with the idea of starting a play school However other family issues came up and i could not go on to have a play school. So i did a little of teaching kids from nursery onwards for some 5 to 6 years. A lot of patience is required in dealing with children but once u get their interest, it is very easy.
    I would suggest that u first expose your daughter to some colourful books (which is not a part of her school work) and sit with her at an allotted time as a routine just browsing thro the books and reading to her if she can grasp it. once she is comfortable with this routine, u can start asking her to write a few lines and then go back to some story sessions. Once they get into a habit of sitting with books daily, there should be no problem with her writing. However, avoid more than half an hour of writing for your kid. You can get her to do some colouring etc also.

ChennaiExpress and anika987 like this.
  3. Agniamber11

Agniamber11 Bronze IL'ite

Hi OP, Its actually frustrating to make a small kid write. Patience, Patience and only Patience will win.

I had same issue with mine. I changed the medium of writing alphabets to make it more interesting.
    You can try these:
    1. Give her crayons to write the alphabets. Dont bother about how it looks. See if she is loving it.
    2. Use water colors. Children love colors and with brush & water around, they love writing alphabets.
    3. If you stay near a beach, take your child there. With a big stick, ask her to draw/write on the wet sand.
    4. Even the modelling play dough, you can ask her to write. Using a toothpick/ kebab stick, it will be like an inscription.

These things will slowly help her to get back to writing on the book/slate.

Use the sticker method. Make a weekly chart. Give her the points for doing her work. Do include lots of play activities in your routine.

stephanjohn and anika987 like this.
  4. DavenaRosalie

DavenaRosalie Silver IL'ite

My son was like that a few years ago. He is in 1st grade now (he is in the spectrum and has problems with his fine motor skills)
    What I did to make him hold the pencil? Brought him to an OT and after 2 months, he learned the value of the pencil, crayons and markers. i just had to clean up after him since our walls were his canvas. but it's ok! lol

5. stephanjohn

stephanjohn Senior IL'ite

I would very much agree with what @Agniamber11 has shared.