1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Maintain Privacy In 1 Bhk Home Living With In-laws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Parry22, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Having gone through suggestions at #2to #9, and assuming OP has other constrains in shifting to separate house or move with in laws to a larger accommodation 2 BHK , my suggestion is - shift your in-laws to the bed room and you & DH have the retst of the space.
    Second option is to send in laws for nights to accommodative neighbour’s house nearby.
    Third option - provided fil is healthy he can go for night shift job in which case you have a fil sleeping in day time at home which is to your advantage.
    I had a friend and his brother both married living with their spouse working in oil company in Mumbai. They managed to have alternate weekly night shift in oil company and had their privacy till they got possession of independent flats.
    Wishing OP Whatever she wished for her hubby and herself including 2 or 3 BHK.
    Regards.

Parry22 and Sandycandy like this.
  2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Haha the MIL will say “ I will have what she is having “ :)

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I feel for the inlaws too in such cases.
    The son gets married and they no longer have a bedroom .
    Old people also need privacy . They need to rest during the day too.

Kera, SunPa, SGBV and 7 others like this.
  4. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

I think it's very rude of them to peak in like that, commenting and violating your privacy. You expect more maturity, experience and understanding at their age.

You have to convince your husband that door can be locked any time or atleast early evening, as it's a newly married couple's bedroom!! The elders should have more sense than to feel offended by it. I don't understand why elders get offended if a couple keeps their bedroom door locked(especially newly married couple). Bedroom are also used in daytime for changing clothes, lying around in day time, wearing clothes sans tight innerwears at home for health/comfort. That's the minimum privacy a husband should be able to provide his newly married wife.Also, why should you have to postpone the bedtime just because they prefer 11:30 pm. This is too much! I think your husband is the main culprit here .
    Convince him his parents need privacy too, so he really needs to shift to 2bhk or make some sensible arrangement for privacy

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    madras2018 and Sandycandy like this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Generally when son gets married in laws themselves should be tactful enough to shift to a bigger home..or the son should look for one as soon as marriage is fixed..
    It's just common sense.
    It gets so embarrassing when a newly married hot blooded couple have to do their " business" discreetly.
    Common wardrobe is a bigger embarrassment - elderly mil fil coming across a pack of condoms or exotic lingerie while searching for something else..I mean unintentionally also. :(..an accidental discovery of a pack of contraceptive pills would invite a big lecture and gyan to start family asap , and how people those days would have babies immediately after marriage and not delay like " these generation people ".
    If not bigger home atleast mil and fil can shift the married couple to another 1 bhk home nearby.

madras2018, Rosey2018, SGBV and 2 others like this.
  6. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

duplicate post.. hence deleted

7. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

Loud sex?? Seriously ??? Did you do that?? we can't even to that with our friends or our parents next door - how can we do it with IN LAWS next door. Come on, i wanted some serious advice, thanks for making fun of it.

SGBV likes this.
  8. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your reply, it was helpful. I'm glad i'm not alone. why does your mil keep things in your bedroom even though she has her own bedroom??? Thats really bad.

9. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your reply. Your friends family was really smart and mature to make that decision of alternating week nights. Glad they could shift to a bigger place.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Since you asked...yes:rolleyes: what could I do,I married an irresistable hunk.:kissingheart:

By the way...did give some serious advice which you chose to ignore.
    No privacy and no sense of humor to deal with it....that is tough luck!

SGBV likes this.