1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Know Buying Vegetable Is Healthy Or Not

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by SaiNiharika, Mar 7, 2017.

1. SaiNiharika

SaiNiharika Bronze IL'ite

We reside in Hyderabad, Every time in TV showing that Greef leaf vegetables in hyd is growing up with chemical water or drainage water, not only green leaf tomatos ,cauliflower. I am afraid to buy. We buy vegetables in “santa” kept every week in streets. can anyone help me how to know buying vegetable is healthy or not.

2. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

up to my knowledge, it's not easy to identify whether a vegetable has grown in well water or drainage water, these small steps of cleaning may make the vegetable safe or fit to consume, they are:

throw away the defective parts in the vegetable, avoid bruised or cut vegetables, if bad odour persists, don't buy.
    de coloured or deficit growth of the vegetable is a warning sign of spoilage, wash vegetables in salt water & then cook. avoid pre mature or over ripen vegetables.

3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

It is very difficult to know by looking at the vegetable. One way is to buy it from local organic farmers.
    If you buy from usual stores, washing it under running water or using salt water may help
    I read that pesticides are more in curry leaves or other leafy vegetables/chillies than others
    Why don't you try to grow curry leaves , coriander leaves, chilly etc in home. It is easy to do that using garden pots. If you can try to develop a home vegetables garden.
    I do that in my home in USA, and the vegetables from home garden tastes so good. So I think the effort is worth it

4. SaiNiharika

SaiNiharika Bronze IL'ite

Thank For reply, But our is rented house. No place in out side to grow

5. DDream

You can do with garden pots.. at least curry leaves..

6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Acid washing ( Vinegar + Salt ) in water would remove almost all of the surface-adsorbed chemicals, including pesticides. Don't bother with the lemon juice (like she shows in the video). Vinegar is acidic enough without having to waste a lemon.

There are test strips available for testing your veggie wash to see if the wash water contains chemicals. Not sure if they are available in India. There is also a nitrate tester to see if there is any fertilizer in the vegetables. Again, not available in India, AFAIK.

Here is another one:

7. waiting4rmlong

waiting4rmlong Gold IL'ite

how to make grow in our gardent pots curry leaves , coriander leaves, chilly etc? Looking for advice. I have tried many times by planting coriander seeds by pouring into garden pot. But it didn't grow. I want to know about curry leave plant too. Our is also rented house.
    @SaiNiharika -- Not only in Hyderabad every where in cities mostly not good veggies getting.

8. DDream

The pots should have proper drainage. We need to break coriander seeds .. otherwise it may not grow. There are many videos in youtube about it can you check. one here for you

So many videos are in youtube.. Curry leaves like acidic soils.. so adding cold rice water, water contianing yogurt etc will help along with fertilizers like cow dung.. dont over water it. It will kill plants in pots.. always use garden pots will proper drainage..( if you are in US, I can share you more that work well here)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  9. vedhikasankar

vedhikasankar Senior IL'ite

This is a common question I think u must clean vegetables in salt water before cooking