1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to keep your secrets once married?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Iamagoodgirl, Jul 23, 2013.

1. nicegirlradhi

nicegirlradhi Gold IL'ite

OP, just dont worry. please leave the dairy at your own home till the time you feel comfortable at your in laws place. However, you said you are taking some medicines. if it is a long term illness which you want to hide from your husband, let me tell you that it is better to share than hide such sensitive things.

1 person likes this.
  2. nicegirlradhi

nicegirlradhi Gold IL'ite

I think its tad immaturity to generalize everything on the culture when we cant really differentiate between challenges in life and culture. To see on flip side, there are many women in our own culture who would want to know every detail of the husband right from his office appointments to the diet he should/should not follow…or more so scrutinize the call history after returning from office.

Privacy IN MARRIAGE is a personal choice which depends on the maturity of the couple involved than anything to do with culture. Let me tell you, if the marriage makes a perfect couple, one should not be too surprised if the spouse himself/herself ask other spouse to write down the daily notes. Ideally thats the stage where successfully married couple grow over a period of time

3 people like this.
  3. AS86

AS86 Silver IL'ite

In my experience, no cupboards or anything are "private" in inlaws' home. Someone or the other will open it under some pretext. So something risky, like a diary, should either be gotten rid of or left at parents' place. Why take a risk? If you really like to write a diary, keep a private, online journal under a password. Anyway, if you are going to be in a joint family, it's unlikely that you'll get much time to write in the first few months.

About condoms, sex toys and such things, best to ask your husband. Maybe in a drawer under your clothes? Btw, do newly married Indian couples use sex toys? I didn't even know that. If your future husband and you decide to keep some, buy them together with him. Once you live in the house for a few weeks, you'll find out which spot is safe.

As for discarding condoms, keep a covered dustbin in your bathroom, line it with a plastic bag and after putting in the condom, throw in some toilet paper or crumpled newspaper.

Finally, for avoiding sweets etc., just tell everyone in different contexts that you don't like sweets at all and have never liked them. Most likely, even then they'll ask you to have some all the time, so for the first few days you'll have to eat. After a month or so, they'll cool off and let you be. :)

3 people like this.
  4. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

OP, we get dairy boxes with locks or use some makeup kit box which has password lock. Lock it up and leave at your parents. If I were you, I would have burnt the book. Man, its so risky to pen down every chapter of your life. A book is always an open book, so be careful.
    Other things like your diet plan, I dont think there must be much hullabulla about that, you must inform them openly as its highly impossible to hide your diet plans from a family. For other things, am sure a newly wed couple would be given their own room ;) Get a suitecase with passlock initially until you get comfortable with the cupboards:thumbsup

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

Tell me about secracy.. after marraige i thought cupord was the safesr place to keep stuff... just a visit outside and came back to see tht cupbord was well scanned by MIL & SIL ... so there went my privacy down the drain.... i started keeping stuff in my hand bag :( dono wen tht will be attacked !

6. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

That was the first thought that came to my mind too! That's a news to me. ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. 123thirumala

123thirumala Silver IL'ite

please tear the dairy becoz it may make life miserable for silly things, dairy is not important ur life is important, about dieting,homeopathy remedies tell them openly no need to hide, we cant hide them for long time some or other day they get revealed unknowingly they may misundertand u.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I thought RadiantFlower was talking about a married woman's privacy from in-laws, not from husband.

2 people like this.
  9. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I grew up in a household where parents taught us importance of giving privacy by respecting ours.

Cannot imagine anyone going through others stuff private or otherwise without permission.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dieting, homeopathy remedies, skin care routine, diary, condoms, sex toys, intimate clothing.

You do have some list there! :)

Diary - the one from before marriage, put it away in a safe locked place in parents' house. After marriage, no diary. If diary, take turns with husband to write in it.

Dieting, homeopathy remedies: These cannot remain completely private. Come up with some tactful statements that indicate your preference without seeming to criticize the habits and medicine choices of others. The key is to share that you diet and use homeopathy, but to never explain or defend your choice. Never enter into discussion about weight, food habits and homeopathy. Set the format from the beginning.

Skin care routine: Best done in the bedroom. Do not roam around house with scary face-packs. The supplies that you use everyday, you have to keep handy, but the weekly or rarer use ones, can be kept in the cupboard.

Condoms, sex toys Tell husband that you are shy, and discuss with him how to store them and where.

Intimate clothing: This cannot be kept really private. You do have to wash them and dry them. You can simply be matter of fact about them. Do not enter into any discussion about the cost, quality, brand. Wear nightie, nightwear only in the bedroom. This will set the trend, and they will hopefully learn to not ask nosy questions or make unwanted comments.

Your concerns are understandable, but do realize that you are going to be living in a joint family. Loosen up a little bit. The best you can aim for is that you will not have too much privacy, but, no one will snoop on your stuff and and no one will make unwanted comments. Invest in some good lockable storages of various sizes and kinds. Remember that how much you adjust or compromise or bite your tongue in the initial days will set the expectation. So,do not go overboard in adjusting. Be polite but firm.

1 person likes this.