1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Interact With Other People's Kids

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by ChennaiExpress, Jun 8, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Today we had take your daughters and sons to work day.

I was asked to volunteer in arts section.

I really didn't know his to engage with them (kids that are 6 to 8 years old).

However if they needed marker or others art tool, I got it for them.

One child was telling me some funny story, i.e. find five notebooks then you get the exit. She was saying this over and over. Then at done point he was running (maybe to imitate someone).

I was amused and. smiled and nodded my head. I wasn't sure what else to do.

In another section (later in the day) a shy quiet girl cut out a heart and gave it to me. When I said, "is this for me" she nodded her head.

I was so touched I hung it in my cubicle with special adhesive.

Any ideas for next year (or in general) on how to interact with kids?

2. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Kids wants appraisal even for the small task and also they don't want to be treated as kid. At 4 or 5 they start thinking of themselves as much older than younger ones who can do anything better than anyone else and can solve all issues. You can keep some rewards like chocolate or toffees for every child and can guide them with useful tips to paint. If someone tell you stories then show them you enjoyed it a lot and then tell them to concentrate on work. Don't be very serious and also don't get involved too much with their Masti.

3. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

That is key .... certainly want to be friendly, but keep at arms length (because you never know how their parents will react).

Bag of chocolates or toffees is a wonderful idea!

messedup likes this.