How to Increase Breast milk supply

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by cheer, Mar 10, 2008.

1. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

Re: Food to increase Breast Milk

I had a App with my Lactation consultant, coz my case is opposite i have over supply and was planning to give some to hospital so they can give to mothers who cant breastfeed.

I dint take any special diet, the key to increase your supply is to breast feed regularly like every 1hr, just put the boys on breast every hr even if they are not hungry, that would stimulate the breasts and send signal to brain make more milk ... you could also get breast pump (that's what i used to do pump like crazy every hr)

You can try oats in breakfast i heard they do good.
    Be careful with garlic , plz dnt over do it just have a small portion, my mom used to put garlic in everything thinking it will increase my supply, but my son used to have sever colic and constipation problem the moment I stopped taking garlic he was fine.

Moms dnt give up... she started the fenugreek seeds thing and used to make me swallow the stuff.......... you defo hav side effects though they are not harmful , like I became very gassy .... baby's stools turned green, so i stopped them as well.

So what every you try do it in moderation.

According to my personal experience I only thing which worked was me pumping and feeding son every hr. You might want to consider buying or renting a pump from the hospital they have A grade pumps and are too good.

Plz visit the below website it gives you some good insite info abt breastfeeding
    http://www.ameda.com/breastfeeding/mom/diet.aspx

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. sweetshell

sweetshell New IL'ite

Re: Food to increase Breast Milk

U must drink a lot of milk mixed with "Shatavari Kalp". This is an ayurvedic medicine which is available in medical stores.It has no side effects..
    You can also try Horlicks meant expecially for breast feeding moms

3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

4. bigmommylove

bigmommylove New IL'ite

To increase your milk supply, you will want to breastfeed as often as possible.

In my case though I strictly pump. My milk supply went down very low. I could only pump 1/2 ounce with a hospital grade breast pump. My lactation consultant told me to try Breastea and it has worked great for me. I am now pumping about 5 ounces at a time.

If you have to pump, you will want to make sure to pump every 2 to 3 hours during the day. Don't go more than 4 hours at night without pumping. This can really hurt your milk supply.

I've found with Breastea that it works best if I drink a glass every few hours. You want to be consistent with using herbs. Hope this helps.

Oh and you can order it online through their website Breastea.com

5. NandiniGG

NandiniGG Silver IL'ite

I also had the same problem couple of days back and i got so worried.One of my breast was producing very little milk and other breast was producing but less than usual.Then i started feeding the baby more often like every hours.The breast which was producing very less i fed with that more.I started drinking lot of water and 2 glasses of milk a day.Also i started having little more food i was not eating properly because i was so busy with the baby.My milk supply came back.Touchwood!

6. seethan

seethan New IL'ite

Hi bigmommylove,

I am 2 months post delivery and facing the same problem as you did. I am getting only 1 ounce per pumping session (hospital grade pump). My baby could never latch on to me so far.

Have been trying to apply different suggestions in this forum - drinking water in which methi is soaked, adding more garlic to the diet, keeping myself hydrated w water and milk. Yesterday, started having asparagus capsules marketed by Himalaya ayrvedic company based out of India.

After reading your breastea experience, wondering if I should try it . Is 2 months post delivery not the right time to any new products to increase breast milk? I willl be going back to work in a month's time. would like to see an increased supply in another week to make the best use of my leave time to feed the baby..

Others, Pls help out with your valuable suggestions!!

7. aditibose78

aditibose78 Silver IL'ite

Hi!

Here is an article that will help you with some to do's to increase the breast milk supply. I hope that some of your queries will be solved through this feature.

IndusLadies - Get Over Breastfeeding Jitters with Improved Milk Supply

Also, here is another discussion on breast milk supply. Some of the answers here are sure to be of help to all you new mothers out there. Have a read and let me know in case you have any queries.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/l...52859-home-made-remedy-increasing-breast.html

8. murphybaby77

murphybaby77 Gold IL'ite

Regarding increase of breast milk

Sathavari gulam or sathavari kalp both helps a lot to increase
    Breast milk.
    Not only that. It helps to calm the feeding mothers feelings too.
    Post pregnant depression also gets cured.

9. murphybaby77

murphybaby77 Gold IL'ite

Regarding methi consumption,
    You can try methi dosa ,my mom used to give us What's called karandi appam
    Dosa batter of more boiled rice and less urad and little methi
    Crispy dosa only two will be given before we go to bath.wow tasty aroma it will have.
    That will also helps to increase milk.

anika987 likes this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Fennel tablets
    Roti with ghee
    Bread
    All the above increases breast milk
    Also drink milk and water after every feed
    Most important,relax and sleep well whenever you can take a nap