1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Improve Father Daughter Relationship

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by krishykris, Jan 27, 2017.

1. krishykris

krishykris New IL'ite

Friends
    In great need of your valuable inputs

Daughter is 7 years old..since she was small,hubby took care of the disciplining and eating part ..of course we too handle it,but he requested us not to be harsh on her and he alone will take care

He loves her a lot and does interact with her ,takes her out etc etc ,the usual fatherly activities

But somehow my daughter dint gel very well with him

He doesn't behave strictly other than for the disciplining factor and food intake (She is extremely fussy)..

But when grand parents are there,she becomes totally different ..doesn't even go to him or responds to him,behaves rude or shows angry face..i feel if given a choice ,she might never even go to him..he calls her often,asks her to sleep with him..plays with her ..takes her out..does everything but sometimes she plays but mostly doesn't want to even sleep next to him..this behaviour i feel she has it inside but shows wen gp come

Whenever I try explaining her calmly ,she accepts her mistake but keeps repeating..Even I have started scolding her wrt food intake and disciplinin part thinking since he is doing it more,it creates problem ..but still their relationship has not improved

My husband and i are extremely sad /worried because of this

Please help

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017

2. krishykris

krishykris New IL'ite

Is there no one to help

3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

In reading your post i feel you are wrong on 2 counts -
    1. To assume she is doing a "mistake"
    2. To tell her or talk to her as if she is doing a "mistake".

Rather than forcing her to do things that she does not like but which will please her father, you as a mother and woman must spend time to understand why she feels this way.

Also by age 7 some girls may not be comfortable sleeping next to a parent of the opposite gender.

In my humble opinion, it is not so much the child than it is the parent who needs coaching to learn to respect the child's need for space. Also you must respect her feelings and try to understand the root cause for her hostile feelings. Did you really think that you can make friends with someone let alone a child by admonishing them for not being friendly ?

If she opens up to you, i must add that your response cannot be judgemental and insisting yet again that she must set aside her own feelings of discomfort and behave in a manner more suitable to you. Chances are changes are needed on both sides.

I feel sorry for your daughter as what she needs is understanding and not people making her feel she is erring by behaving authentically. Parents must encourage a child to behave in an authentic manner, consistent with her feelings. This respect to a child's authenticity is one of the greatest acts of true love that a parent can demonstate.
    Your daughter is repeatedly showing her authentic feelings (and this must be appreciated) but the response she gets from her parents is advice on how she must change ?

If you dont feel confident about eliciting your daughter's true feelings, please consult a child counsellor.

Last but not least please read the book "Road less travelled" by Dr Scott Peck. He talks in depth about what true, selfless parental love should look like and how children suffer or thrive in the absence or presence of authentic love.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  4. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Take the responsibilities of taking care of your daughter from your husband and you handle it yourself.Try to make her sleep next to you for a few days.Become her friend and find out whats bothering her.

momsky likes this.
  5. krishykris

krishykris New IL'ite

Thanks for responding madras
    I believe my post has made a bad impression on us wRt parenting

Let me clarify

We are not assuming and we are not such parents who blindly believe what others say...we give her the space to explain things from her side and then we explain her softly ..scolding is something that happens later..and there are some discipline which as parents we neEd to teach them ..this again we did not scold her from the very moment it started but did it pretty late when she dint show any improvement

I spend good amount of time and talking with her..I make her understand the reasons..which almost all times she agrees she did a mistake..again I have never forced her to accept and neither do I scold her..and she not moving close with her father is not something that has been happening recently and we did give her loads of time to come back ..only wen that did not happen we as parents asked her again not scolded her

I have not heard about this ..I don't see this type of behaviour with my husband anytime..again let me quote these things are not happening only at this age,but before too
    I m not sure what makes u come to a conclusion that we are not giving her space or respecting her feelings .. I cannot explain everything here...but NO WE ARE NOT SUCH PARENTS AS YOU THINK
    Changes I accept has to happen from both sides and these are the tips I m expecting out of this thread..

You have totally misunderstood my post.

Will do for sure if nothing works ..after all my daughter and our relationship with her is my utmost importance and responsibility
    These words are totally mean ... sorry but you have not understood my post ..I cannot explain everything here aNd you can never judge my parenting based on one post .
    Don't hurt people based on your wrong assumptions

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  6. krishykris

krishykris New IL'ite

Thank you for responding
    I have been doing those but don't see any improvement
    Anyways I will not stop doing that

7. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @krishykris sorry if my response upset you. I made those observations based on your post or rather how it sounded. The words "made a mistake" particularly caught my eye.

Anyway you know the situation best. Since you say that this issue has been ongoing for a long time, better to consult an expert.

Goodluck !

guesshoo, KashmirFlower and AnooSA like this.
  8. sumzaya

sumzaya Gold IL'ite

How does she behave with her cozns or frnds..??
    Is she reserved type ?
    She likes her grandparents then y not try with their help too...
    Children likes grandparents a lot as they both share same mental attitude... Be a child with a child... Hav u ppl tried by playing some games together. Instead of advising/saying just teach her in a kind/funny manner. If parents focus only on discipline , kids may obviously feel irritable. U dont worry too much..
    Just cuddle her... Pamper her with affection take her to parks slowly asks y she is afraid... Don't u like papa.. did papa beat u... Etc... May b while she playing in a slide or swing in the parks.. ofr whilehaving an icecream.. wen children enjoys and if in good mood they share us everything if we care... Have personally tried with my 7 yr old DS.

9. krishykris

krishykris New IL'ite

thanks for understanding @madras2018

10. krishykris

krishykris New IL'ite

thanks for taking time and responding @sumzaya
    she is not a reserved of girl,not even with my husband..she talks freely,goes to an extent of scolding him as well..and if he was wrong,he would ask sorry and accept it...so we have given her all her own space as well as loads of love and freedom because of which she is able to scold her dad as well

No, we dont focus only on discipline and we are not parents who scold her for everything..we let her be and do what she likes to...

grandparents too see this difference and they too help..but sadly not working..

I do keep talking to her,take it light when she is in a good mood during which time she accepts that her behaviour should be changed

sumzaya likes this.