How To Handle This Vacation Situ

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by sanjuruby3, Nov 9, 2017.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

All of you really gave great speech...bricks and bats welcome..... which is why I come back to you guys :)

I know it was bad planning and I am losing money in rescheduling etc. But I think of leaving my parents right after sis's marriage and my heart breaks. So that is priority for me.
    I informed the manager and he is not the happiest guy on earth right now with so many things going bad in project. But I made peace with myself. It will be hard to work from offshore but atleast I will be with my parents for couple more days and will be able to give them shoulder.

PLK likes this.
  2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Hell yea, your manager is not the happiest guy right now. A member of his team left him in the lurch at a crucial time in the project. Professionalism be damned, right ? The fact that your contract may or may not be extended does not make it right that you decide to abandon ship at the last minute. Better planning next time !

sindmani and Sunburst like this.
  3. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

In my entire career to date , I have never come across such emergency excuses to extend vacations . This is not high school when we could make up silly excuses and bunk school . Keeping them in the dark and leaving the project in lurch is downright unprofessional and you are taking others for granted . Reasons like want to spend extra time with parents aren’t convincing enough to jeopardize the project . In your absence , the rest of the team will have to take the extra burden and we are talking about December when everyone is already in holiday mood and planning their own time off . There is something called as work ethics and people with great work ethics will never do that .

It’s good that you were honest and informed your manager right away . It’s highly unlikely that they will replace you with someone else because it’s a lot of work for employers to find a replacement , train them and bring them upto speed . If they know what you are worth and what you bring to the table , they wouldn’t mind an extra week of vacation . Rather be honest than unprofessional.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Sandycandy, sindmani and PLK like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I am glad you decided to tell them upfront. Especially when on contract, its imperative to be honest, if you want to be considered for future projects.

sindmani and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Well, Right now, I do not care any ethics on this earth and my manager or anyone. I told them about upcoming vacation a month ago.
    Suddenly you all have become my managers or thinking of me as their resource leaving them mid way.
    In my opinion, teams should be built that way that if someone leaves, there should be minimal damage, ours is not and they did not want to, not my concern anymore.

First resource should also be treated as human in a company/team which I am not. My parents are my priority right now and my work is also important irrespective of my contract extended or not which is why I am working from india and not taking just off.

Sunshine04 likes this.