1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Handle This Specific Situation While Visiting Inlaws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by senoritaaa, Oct 16, 2017.

1. senoritaaa

senoritaaa Bronze IL'ite

My MIL is a very cunning an manipulative lady.I want to know how i can deal this scenario:
    Scenario:
    Me,DH, 2kids going visiting inlaws place after a gap .
    As soon as we enter MIL says to DH, oh you have become so thin.
    Or comments on Kids, She looks so thin . She says this just to irritate me. I get so irritated at this and l
    lose my peace and spoils vacation on such small small incidents.
    She keeps on kicking goals. I am frustrated. SHe wants me to lose temper and speak someting against her.
    Majority of times she has won.
    How can i hande these?? Pls help.

2. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

So you know what she is going to say. Nothing to get irritated about. She is behaving as you expect her to.if I were in your place I will ignore.

September2015 and sindmani like this.
  3. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Dear Op,

Paste a large smile and say, you all miss he (ur MIL) hand prepared food and caring and hence came to revive their lost health...

sindmani and Bluelagoon like this.
  4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

"She says this just to irritate me. I get so irritated at this"

You cannot change old people. You can change how you respond to the situation.
    Take a decision that you wont allow this to happen. You need to show her that her attempts to irritate you wont work.

Ignore, smile it off, behave as if you didnt hear, walk away , hear or leave it through other ear, talk minimum and to the point if needed- choose what works for you. Don't take these to heart and spoil your vacation .

Or play the game like Disha mentioned .Be diplomatic. Take everything with a positive attitude.

It is quite natural for most mothers to comments this way (you look so tired/thin) even when their children look like obese. Dont give any importance to it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    shashivanshi, Dishaa and sindmani like this.
  5. Bluelagoon

Bluelagoon Senior IL'ite

She is 'acting' the part of concerned mother (probably for impressing her son to show how much more caring she is than u). U need to 'act' the part of doting DIL.
    Just say what Dishaa suggested, dont take her words to heart. Just feel pity for her that she need to show her love to her son by playacting like this.
    For such Oscar award winning actors, the response can never be straightforwardness. U shd react only by acting nicely. Dont get irritated or angry. U lose the game then and ur allowing her to win. Show her ur strength by acting like a gud DIL and not taking the bait. Slowly she ll get frustrated n stop provoking u. Dont mention anything to H , he might not understand or side with u.

6. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

You cant change her. And if she has to be a part of your life then the best you can do is make yourself scarce. If you work stay longer at the office until she goes. Don't go out of your way to make things to make an effort. Her words are just words and she probably is a very unhappy person herself to only say bad words

September2015 likes this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

She's trying to get a rise out of you. Don't oblige. Either smile and ignore her. Or say that being thin is better for one's health than the opposite. :grin:

September2015 and Dishaa like this.
  8. happydheivanai

happydheivanai Silver IL'ite

All the mothers r like this which u can’t change. Better make her to cook everyday and u help her like cutting veg like that...by mistake also u don’t cook let she feed her son and g.children.

9. zeppelingirl

zeppelingirl Silver IL'ite

Ignore. Just don't even give an expression when she says that. When you enter home ask how is she doing and when she starts blabbering such irritating things you don't even look at her face, just go straight into your room, pretending unpack things. That explains you don't take her a big deal in your life. Let your husband deal with her crap. Try not to fight with your husband bcos of her.

September2015 likes this.
  10. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

My dh: "Damn, I have gained weight. I should cut down"
    2 days later - we enter into mil's house...
    Mil: "oh son, you lost so much weight!"
    Me: :grazy::facepalm:

The same goes for my son too. And this happens everytime.

There's no gettin going around it.

Ignore it as you already know she's gona do it anyway.

Or come back with good answers like no he's gained or he's dieting or he's healthy or something like that.

Or point to the people living with your mil and say 'oh you lost weight' :cool:

zeppelingirl likes this.