How To Handle Micro Managing Boss

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by jillcastle, Jul 13, 2017.

1. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I am currently working as a contractor for client A, with employer B. Now I am 28 weeks pregnant. A brief history, my current client manager has been putting a lot of pressure on me lately related to my project going live next month. He has been making insensitive remarks ever since I told him about my pregnancy, that he is scared about me having a preemie and would not be there when the project I am working goes live. He has remarked multiple times that "unfortunately" I am pregnant during several meetings, later he claims he was only joking.

Now I have got a job offer with employer C (whom I already contracted with before client A and they have a very high opinion of me). It is a full time position and they have just initiated the h1 transfer process. I am planning to join once I get the H1 receipt number. I am so irritated with my current manager and one of the main reasons I dont want to wait till I get the h1 approval for changing jobs. Today at a meeting he said he wants me to give night support during production, at that time I would be 35 weeks. I am hoping the transfer should happen soon and I would not have to go thru with this. But in case some delay happens, what options do I have to avoid working night shift? I am planning to work till day before delivery so I can utilize max leave post delivery. My DH is on H4, so cant quit job for now. Please tell me ways to handle this manager.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Document these remarks with date and time and who all were present, what kind of meeting it was - regular weekly one, called for by certain person etc. Store emails associated with the meeting.

If you hadn't had to struggle so much for this pregnancy, you could have gone through the process/hassle of reporting him. You don't need that stress right now. Plus, you are a contractor, not a fulltime employee.

You are wisely focusing on the more important things like when will H1 transfer be final and what if you are asked to be on call at night. Don't mess around with the H1 nitty-gritty. Wait till the approval happens. About the night support, much can happen in 7 weeks. Is it possible you are taking things out of context a little bit? Did he mean that he wants to have you do the night support though others can?

Are you expecting or hoping that since you will be that far along, you will not be asked to do the night support duty? Usually women go on leave at 36 weeks, and are wrapping up things at work in the last week. You are choosing to not go on leave till as late as possible. It is fair enough for your manager to expect that you will be available as you would have been if not pregnant. Employer has to make accommodations for employees to be able to perform their job. That does not mean modifying the job definition.

Why he mentioned it now. Was it just a normal mention of how production support will be handled or was he trying to alarm you, we can't say. For now, take it a day at a time. Don't respond to what doesn't need a response.

You could perhaps ask your doctor to give you a note that your work hours better be limited to daytime and to 8 hrs a day. But, it depends on the doctor.

The other employer is willing to take you on in the middle of your pregnancy. This one is being difficult about some accommodations you need. Takes all kinds.

sokanasanah likes this.
  3. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Hi Rihana,

Thanks for your response. He has been talking about night support multiple times informally. Today he called out my name and 3 others formally. Fortunately my pregnancy has been progressing along normally and I dont have issues working till day before delivery (as of now). But I really dont want to do night shift that far along. I am not mentally prepared for it. With his history of remarks, I am just not sure how he would react if I went and told him this. At my next doc apt, I shall talk to my doc if she could give me such a letter.

To be fair on his side, I was hired for this project and I informed about my pregnancy only a month after I joined. So I can understand his expectation that I should provide night support for this project. If he had been more considerate, may be my thoughts would have been different. I know how much pressure he can put on and I dont want to deal with it at that time.

Anyway like you said, will talk to my doctor. Hope it helps. Thank you again very much.

Rihana likes this.
  4. Rihana

Deleted. Not needed.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  5. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

I feel for you as I was in a slightly similar situation few yrs back . I was slammed until the very last day at work and had a long commute (40 miles each way ) so over 3 hours daily . I had a very good boss and we shared a great rapport . After 32 weeks , I requested my boss to let me work from home towards the last few weeks of pregnancy but he didn't want to make an exception just for me as HR wouldn't allow it and if they allow me , other would raise a question or ask for similar demands . I knew that if it was up to him , he wouldn't care where I work from but the company and team is just not about me so fair enough ! Infact I tried to have my doctor write a note for me but the doctor said that I am pretty healthy to commute so she didn't approve either . I continued until 38 weeks because I wanted to save all the leave for post delivery so I get to spend time with my baby .

You should have informed your boss about your pregnancy and your terms and conditions of working late into pregnancy before getting into this project . Your boss is thinking about the project and the company so his expectations are right . And if he makes exception for you , others can come with their own reasons to avoid night calls .

Tell me one reason why others should take on the night support for you even before you went on a maternity leave? Others want to go home and spend time with their families as well. Finally ,the work will go to the rest of the team and they may feel overburdened.

Your best option is to get a note from your doctor . But doctors here are quite honest and generally wouldn't give a note unless you have a very convincing reason to support your demands . Otherwise just hang in there until you join the new company or go on your maternity break.

Sandycandy likes this.
  6. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

He is making insensitive remarks about pregnancy . Tell him his remarks are hurtful next time .

But if you look at from his side , you are a contractor hired for a specific job and did not disclose your pregnancy , He has to manage go live and post go live support and which twill be hectic and critical. Does he have any one else in place of you to help with your area of work .

When you want to work till last day and this being contracting job , he may not have too many options to manage the work .

I think you should talk to him in advance if you cannot do night support and don't keep it last minute.

Did you disclose to your new employers that you are pregnant and will be on maternity leave soon. ?

He is anyway in loss if you leave suddenly when you get h1 . I am sure you won't be bothered about project suffering at that moment . So think from his side how it is impacting him and communicate properly with him as to what you can and cannot do .

Sandycandy likes this.
  7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Your boss is wrong in commenting about your pregnancy but not wrong in expecting you to work at the same pace as everyone else until you leave for maternity leave. Your best bet is to take time off earlier so as you don't have to take the night calls . Good luck !

Sunburst likes this.
  8. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

OP,

Cant you complain to your HR in employer B about this manager and ask them to release you from the project? Or there must be some higher authority from employer B working with u in the same project who you can discuss this issue with...

9. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

I hear you all when you say he does not have to differentiate or give me any specific provileges, but it is very difficult to think from his perspective when he keeps bringing up about a premature baby. The last time he bought it up for the nth time, I lost my cool and told him I would be more concerned about the health of my baby if that happens and not about the project suffering. When I joined here, I was still in my first trimester and did not want to reveal it then. My new employer knows about my pregnancy and they have a very flexible work schedule. Cant wait to join there. I am giving my best here until I go and I am sure I havent reduced my pace just cos I am pregnant, but I just assumed since I will be just 5 weeks away from my due date, I would not be asked to do a night shift.

Someone said if I leave this job, I would not care about the project suffering. That is not fair. The employer-employee relationship is mutual. Now if there is a budget cut and if they have to layoff me, they would do so without considering anything. That is how it works here and I am fine with it. Anyway, I spoke to my doc and she said there is no worry if I have to work night shift, may be I will only be lil more tired. For now taking one day at a time. Thanks all for the different perspective.

BTW Rihana, I am not sure why you deleted your post. I read it yesterday and to answer your qn, yes he is. :) I kind of get the same qn asked when I tell people about the remarks he makes.

Rihana likes this.
  10. Rihana

Your hope/expectation is not entirely misplaced. But such flexibility is easier to achieve for full-time employees or for contractors who have worked with the client company for a long time.

Do you get paid a higher rate for overtime hours? Or comp off in the next 2-3 days?

Familiarity gives them the courage to make such remarks which would otherwise land him in beeg trouble.

jillcastle likes this.