1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How To Handle Being Stared At In U.s.?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by uk2016, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Lady1

Lady1 Silver IL'ite

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I don't know where you live but undeniably, there is a level of racism exists in certain part of the United States (particularly down south especially if you live deep inside a red state) and unless you live in one of those parts, in general, you shouldn't have much of problems. White supremacy is not only about presenting their views in the social media but also showing it in action by walking in front, shutting the door before a colored person enters the door, greeting everyone except the colored person, jogging turning the face to the other side while crossing a colored person, pulling their children closer away from a colored person, etc. The other way they show their condemnation is to pretend that they didn't understand anything the colored person said even though he/she speaks slowly and clearly and then say, "Oh, you mean this", repeating the same words.

I consider occasional staring is part of it but probably below the radar when compared to holding the purse tightly, clicking the car door lock, turning the face away, seeing behind a person as though one is invisible, etc. which are even worse.

Wherever immigrants from different walks of life are more, such things have disappeared as they learned more and more about other cultures. It is my humble view, greeting them first, smiling at them, developing a non-controversial conversation with them about weather or something very common, petting their dog, saying hi to their children, discussing sports or showing our support to a local team, etc. makes them change their attitude.

But when compared to how a white women is stared by men back in India, their innocent and casual conversations with a smile is considered as invitation for something else, their casual swimming in the pool is watched like a professional sports, aliens feel more secured and a lot better here.

Viswa

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  3. Lady1

Lady1 Silver IL'ite

Dear blindpup10,
    Many times when we feel uncomfortable with something others do (including 'staring,') at least half of how it reaches us, is our own values we have built up so far in our lives. That said,the society in general in the USA, in the metropolitan areas has always been cosmopolitan and people have been quite exposed to different ethnicities, accents etc. However, in the internal states, people may not be that exposed and one way any human takes in new things is by taking a good look...
    Here, if you feel something concerning you is odd, you can walk up to that person and in a relaxed voice (do this if you have to force yourself to), and say,
    'I get the feeling that you are staring at me. Can you please tell me what is it about me you find unfamiliar?' and after a small pause, "perhaps I can clear your doubt, educate you?!"This is your BEST source of accurate information, and the most appropriate way to get back in control of the situation, not thinking of running away from it, and not your personal guesses and assumptions from within your own personal frame of mind. And, this straightforward approach is appreciated. In fact, in the sixties most everyone here was tolerant and welcoming but lots has happened in the World since then and the demography of U.S.A., has also changed (by the way, keep in mind, ALL white skinned people you see here are not necessarily Americans, nor necessarily the ONLY AMERICANS as many Indians and other non-white people assume and also even when we apply for get U.S. Citizenship never really intrinsically think of ourselves as 'Americans,' either. This is to just point to some of our own prejudices). Even then, there were ignorant people as there are everywhere else and instead of responding back from my own prejudices, the day I figured out the need to educate that odd question in their mind,
    I felt much better and more in control. You have to practice this forthright manner which will feel strange to people from elsewhere, to whom this may even appear rude or challenging behavior but what we place value on as understanding, deference etc, Americans generally view as shiftiness and non-transparent stealthy behavior. At the same time, also be truly prepared to receive and field appropriately and dispassionately any answer friendly or not, if one does come forth.
    The person may say something simple like, 'oh, sorry, I apologize. I didn't realize I was staring.' ' Or, there is toilet paper stuck to your shoes,' (or, without talk, pointing to it), or 'I was trying to guess where you may be from...,' or, 'It's YOU guys that cause all those terrorist problems here, isn't iit, why don't you go back to Mexico[]or, even, "I thought I have seen you before but couldn't place you---I travel often in India and Pakistan,I can speak Hindi, see 'Aap Kaise hein!"
    You never know really where they are coming from without their spoken explanation, which they do owe you and you have every right to ask for (not request, nor demand).

So, learn to either grow a thick skin and get comfortable with others' 'stares,' or, take the step to learn where it truly emanates from, by asking its original source. Those are your two options.
    Once you are better educated, you can proceed to 'educate,' the one with that stare, in turn.
    Good Luck! Do let's know how it all turns out.

4. Lady1

Lady1 Silver IL'ite

-----------------------------
    Dear Uk2016,
    You have two options, grow a thick skin and learn to get comfortable with others behaviors towards you, over which you do not have any control without their cooperation. Or, ask them for the reason behind their behavior which reaches you as 'odd,' in a straightforward and non threatening manner.
    REMEMBER:
    1. Many times, our frame of reference is half responsible for our interpretation of others' actions.
    2. What we interpret as a challenge or disapproval even in non-verbal communication such as body language (e.g. 'Stares' are unanswered questions-a need to be 'educated.'
    3. All Americans (U.S.citizens) are not ALL white, nor are ALL white people in the U.S. Are Americans)
    4. People find others' unfamiliar looks and accents in spite of dressing like the main stream majority to be fascinating...and since everyone knows truly where anyone else is from, they are trying to 'place' the unfamiliar one ( by visually taking in everything they can, ending up staring!)
    5. Sometimes, they gave been all over S. Asia (perhaps a diplomat with some familiarity including in the languages) and yet can not surely say which country there you may be from and are curious and guessing, but are as hesitant to approach you to clarify as you are to approach them for the same reason ...
    Approach the 'starter' in a non challenging but not overly formal manner and ask simply if they are having any questions they may want to ask of you.
    Then, you will have the true reason behind their behavior and a chance to 'educate' them with some facts and make things more comfortable for you in the process...running away back to India is definitely not the answer.

Returning to simple, straightforward ways in communication has long been forgotten once we started getting tutored...look at children-LEARN to coexist
    Let's know how you find this approach!

uk2016 likes this.
  5. Lady1

Lady1 Silver IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    Walking in a dark street after dark, do you not cross the street if you see a burly black American or a huge motorcyclist type blond Person with many explicit tattoos all over the exposed parts of his body?!

Are our temples not denying admittance to persons with white skin, blond hair and light eyes, even if they are devout?

In the Office, is it not commonly assumed every white woman is easier target for sexual harassment, pacifying with thoughts that hey 'date,' freely...
    I know everyone of these assumptions in non-American minds and how wrong they are based on intimate knowledge of the culture here as well as in many other parts of the World....

Let us not pick up that 'stone'... Where simple, straightforward clarification will do, fortified with the knowledge you have provided of staying clear where warranted such as in the interlands..

Rajijb and uk2016 like this.
  6. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Ooook. Thanks but no thanks! :thinking::rolleye:

Rihana, Lady1 and uk2016 like this.
  7. uk2016

uk2016 Senior IL'ite

@Viswamitra
    Thanks for sharing! I am aware of such racism, staring bothers me a bit because I feel isolated from the (Indian)crowd. Some posters here asked if it happens when I am with friends and family, yes it happens to me. Others around me keep saying no, no one is looking and I am not comfortable discussing with them further because they swat the issue away. That made me very cautious.
    After posting my OP here, as per your and other posters suggestions, I am coming out of my shell and greeting people, trying to make small-talk (which is very hard for me to do) and so on. Plus I am learning to ignore if they don't greet me back. I can sense some change in myself, in these 2 days.
    I agree the level of freedom here is much higher when compared to India.
    I am not sharing where I live on purpose, because I will be moving soon to a different state and also because I faced this staring problem when I travelled to a few other places around.

8. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

I find this kind of unusual. I have been here for over a decade and half and I have hardly ever come across this kind of behavior. My observation is Americans especially, if they really want to observe your dressing or your mannerisms, they will not stare directly at you. They will make sure you don't catch them looking at you. Sometimes, they will directly walk up to you and say "nice outfit, where do you get these"..............for salwar kameez or sari, but now that has reduced considerably because Indian community is huge now and many americans are familiar with Indian dress, food etc.,

Think for yourself before you get out of the house, why should someone stare at you? You dress well, carry yourself well, speak normally then why should someone stare at you? Maybe its just your feeling.
    Still if you think someone is staring at you, just look at them and smile. That should set it right.

uk2016 likes this.
  9. uk2016

uk2016 Senior IL'ite

@Lady1
    Thanks for your response! You misquoted blindpup10 in this post :)

There is still a certain amount of racism even in metropolitan areas regardless of the exposure to any kind of ethnicity. Now that people are more aware of other races, racism is done on purpose. Every other race makes the locals more insecure, I would say.

I wouldn't invest that kind of time to go and talk to a person who is making me uncomfortable. Plus, 'running away' is not what I am doing. Yes, I made it stressful on myself, because there are other things I am going through. I am simply dealing with the issue in IL instead of talking to a total stranger face to face. Additionally I don't want to be embarrassed, if denies they were staring.

Excellent point. After Indians and Asians, Russians are moving a lot to everywhere around the world. Everyone is either living or visiting everywhere else these days.

I am so forthright, I never faced a problem once a person comes up and talks to me. I am also aware of the difference in behaviours. Most westerners are open about their likes, specially 'dislikes' - we are not that way. I am in between those two options now. Just smile and greet them, and move on (of course, talk if they start first) .
    Great post!

Lady1 likes this.
  10. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@uk2016, thanks for starting this thread.
    My experience is that subtle levels of racism exists. Even in big cities, liberal towns that have always elected Democrats and with big immigrant populations. Caucasian Americans tend to be politically correct, so sometimes the racist undertones are not apparent and sometimes it is. Obviously everyone does not fall into the same category.

I have experienced each and every instance that @Viswamitra has so accurately and eloquently described.One can try best to integrate and speak what I call Americanese, yet there will always be people and places that do not accept you passively or aggressively. The best way to disregard, as most of my Indian friends/acquaintances/myself are wont to do is to ignore/pretend that such racism does not exist or not call this as racism. One has to develop a thick skin, no two ways about it.

I do wish we Indians spoke more about this instead of pretending it does not exist. When we speak out as a group, we create a platform do discuss how to cope and address these issues.

uk2016 likes this.