1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Handle 15 Months Old Baby Separated Temporarily From Mom?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by deepv, Aug 7, 2016.

1. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

Dear moms,
    My daughter-in-law is going to out of country (UK) on a official visit for a week. She is still nursing our grandson at night, before going to bed and also middle of the night. I take care of our grandson during the day time. He is very attached to me and my husband. Sometime it pains to see how much he prefer his grandfather over any of us including his mom. He is a lovely smart boy. We are concerned how to handle his mom's separation.

Please share your experience and advise us how to minimize mom's separation anxiety?

Thanks

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

First I appreciate ur concern for ur grand child and ur dil. U r a good mil. Hats off to u. Since the child is close to u, I think there won't be any problem. Nursing can be stopped by ur dil

deepv likes this.
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Before your dil leaves nursing should be stopped by her, at least a month before. if he takes sippy or bottle please give it few more months.

Skype call really helps when she is away, he can see and hear mom before sleep and whenever it is possible it gives assurance to baby, also u keep telling mommy will come , went in aeroplane etc words help him . Mom also should tell from few days before I am going to get lot toys for u , u stay with granny etc . To make him understand mom will come back nothing to worry

Baby if sees mom everyday once or twice and dozes off seeing her it gives lot of security to baby

blindpup10, sindmani and deepv like this.
  4. Chocolatey

Chocolatey Gold IL'ite

Hi deepv..
    As your grandson is close to you and your husband, you wont have any problem. But my concern is on one thing only, his mid-night feeding.My daughter wont go even to her dad in the middle of the night. Stopping mid-night feeding was very difficult for me. So I would suggest you to look on that part alone. If possible take some measures from now onwards, when your DIL is present. This I m telling from my personal experience.

deepv likes this.
  5. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

Thank you all for good suggestions.

6. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

Thanks KF for your valuable advice.Unfortunately she is leaving in a weeks time.The skype call advice is a good one.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

From now she can start giving bottle or sippy cup till she leaves , then baby will not miss much , otherwise baby will be more mad about his Missing feed and tough for u to console him I feel . So start asap if baby is fine it is good news

8. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

Yes.we are also worried about his mid- night feed.

9. ranirm

ranirm Bronze IL'ite

Stop feeding midnight ..and comfort feeding

deepv likes this.
  10. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

I left my daughter and was in US for 2 weeks, she bonded well with me when I came back. This what we did

1. Right from the day I joined work after maternity I appear in Skype and talk to my daughter at least once a day. This helped when I was away. She saw me on Skype everyday. Before your DiL leaves make her video call your grandson.

2. My daughter was on bottle feed at night. I would recommend your DiL to do that as there is one more week

3. My mil took care of food responsibilities for my daughter. My husband took her of her bathing, feeding food, taking her to play area and putting her to sleep. She Coslepwt with my husband and he adjusted his work schedule to spend maximum time with our daughter

Kids are very smart and adapt easily. One week will fly in no time. I was very worried about my trip but my daughter adjusted really well and she even went with my husband to meet my parents as my father was celebrating his 70th bday.

deepv likes this.