1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Guide My Son

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by SGBV, Jun 7, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My 6+ years old son is an above average student in his School. He is at grade 2.
    He can certainly challenge the class topper if he pays a little more attention to his subjects. But he takes them very simple and expects me to push him really hard at home during exam times, to maintain this level at School.

His peers have already started to go tuition classes for the main subjects, and study consistently at home to score good marks.
    Although I wish him to become the topper; thus work hard at home/tuition like his peers to get there, I do not force him. I always allow him to enjoy his childhood like playing in and outside, watching TV, enjoying with grand parents, cousins during free time, etc... and he hardly sits and studies other than exam times.

On the other hand, he is very much interested in extra curricular activities. He goes to performance arts class, and recently got a gold medal at district level.
    He loves piano and eagerly attends the classes. He looks forward to attend swimming classes too.

Since he loves them and shows interest on his own, I too let him participate in those events.

Now that my family is little bothered that they say, I let him distract from School subjects by involving him into extra carricular activities like this. Further, they say the kid is highly talented, and capable of being class topper if he pays a little more attention in the subject matters like his peers.
    It seems the moms of these peers ensure their kids study consistently at home, and goes to tuition and covers the subjects, while I chose to be little relaxed on this.
    Also his peer have no commitments like extra activities, competitions, exams (in other activities like performing arts), so they fully concentrate on School studies.

In fact, kids will have to go through a toughest School education in SL, and it is always competitive basis.
    At Grade 5, he is expected to face an island-wide Scholarship examination, which is really tough.
    More than the Scholarship award, many parents push their kids to this exam for the pride and prestige.
    It is more than an exam here in SL.

My son will have to sit for that exam in 2020.

So, I wish to know whether my path is right or not. I do not wanna be criticized for wasting my son's valuable time, because the other parents really try hard to ensure their kids are on track towards the big national Scholarship exam from grade 1 itself.

2. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I think this is your second post on this subject. Sooner or later you shall have to give in to peer pressure. It is only a matter of time.