1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Gradually Increase Daily Steps Without Leg Pain

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by ChennaiExpress, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sounds good. Do you have reservations with wearing footwear inside the house? @Shanvy follows a home walking program and she mentioned proper footwear at home. What power walking program do you follow? Just power walk on your own or do something on youtube?

It's hard to figure out how to add effort. I think if you find a good walking program it may help. I've heard great things about Leslie Sansone's videos. I think it's available on youtube. She starts with 1 mile walks and goes up to 6 miles(at home walking workouts)

No marathons. Just jogged here and there. I'm trying to get back into running. Hopefully next year I can do a few 10k races.

[/QUOTE]
    I don't have any insights into the kind of knee injury you have. Please don't ignore your knee while you increase your workouts. I think you should find the time to do your knee workouts and stay injury free. I'm sure your sports medicine doc or orthopedic has mentioned this to you already. Have you looked into the kind of footwear and inserts you need to use to keep the knee stable? There are orthotic inserts people use for shoes to help rehab specific injuries. I have a friend who wears a custom insert for her particular kind of injury so she doesn't hurt herself again.

2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I power walk on my own. When I mean power walk, I try to walk with effort from glutes (never knew this!) and try to slightly swing my arms. I can only walk in my bedroom for now, will see if I can wear socks with soles (I have a pair hiding somewhere)

Will check out Leslie Sansone :)

That's commendable!

Yeah, at this point I set my goal to 6,000 (I walk this much when I go to work, its the weekends that is challenging!) steps a day while stretching legs and surrounding muscles. Plus searching time to do exercises prescribed by Doctor/Physical Therapist (it went on the back burner until I got the fitness tracker and realized I am need to increase physical activity!).

Luckily both knees are stable enough that I just need to stay with flats (i.e. ballet slippers), rarely rarely wear heels (that too, 1" tops).

Laks09 likes this.