1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Gradually Increase Daily Steps Without Leg Pain

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by ChennaiExpress, Aug 23, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Abouta month ago I got a fitness tracker.

If I stay at home I walk 3,000 steps

If I go to work I walk 6,000 steps

I decided to set daily goal to 10,000

It was easy

Then I set daily goal to 12.000

After a week I got pain traveling down my right leg

I lowered goal to 10,000

After few days I got pain traveling down my right leg

I set goal to 7,000

Today I had to go somewhere and ended up walking 8,500. Right leg had slight traveling pain.

Google search scared me. I am healthy (touch-wood). No heart issue, no diabetes, etc

I am asking for your personal experience. How to gradually increase number of steps a day without leg pain?

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

May be check your Vit D levels and calcium

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi CE,
    I have a few questions for you. This may help figure out what it is.

Are you stretching periodically?
    Are you staying hydrated?
    Are you wearing proper footwear - right size, comfortable(most of the times)?
    Any worn out shoes?
    Had a recent physicals? Potassium level ok?

If it’s just constant pain and no swelling I just RICE it and watch for a few days. RICE - Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate it for a couple of days and make sure you stretch periodically and wear good footwear for prolonged walking/standing. If it doesn’t go away in a span of three days or if there is swelling associated with it then I go into get seen. Each of those times, I’ve had an injury. (I hope I didn’t scare you).

If your radiating pain is around only during walking and promptly eases up during rest, you should consider getting it checked out. I’ve had that happen too and it was one of my Vit levels(forgot which one).

ChennaiExpress, lazy and Shanvy like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

If your vitals are ok, then you should look at stretching and hydrating as @Laks09 says.. a good shoe matters as well as the way ypu walk. I am serious when i say how you walk matters, there is a way your footfall can relieve or aggravate a calf pinch..

There is a youtube video on how you should walk..

And take a break and split the walk instead of doing it at a stretch.

ChennaiExpress and Laks09 like this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

Interesting .. I stopped taking calcium a while back. Today I resumed because of your advice ........

shravs3 likes this.
  6. ChennaiExpress

Oh my, I neglected stretching ...I mostly walked at home, barefoot on carpet in my room. I am extremely careful when making turns (to save my weak knees)

The shoes I wear to office, running errands, etc are ballet flats with padded sole. I had these flats for two years (I alternate between black and coffee colored, depending on my outfit).

I do drink plenty of water, eat lots of fruits and veggies (contains their own water).

Last Dr visit was May 2018. Blood work was normal.

As for radiating pain, it came after walking certain number of steps, over span of several days. This dull, radiating pain apoeared more frequently when I walked 10,000 + steps, lasted 10 to 20 min.

However when I walked about 8,000 steps pain came when I was lying on bed, resting (before sleep). This lasted 5 to 10 min (by then I probably fell asleep)

Right now I am lying in bed after walking 7200 steps .... no pain so far.

Luckily there is no swelling.

And today I resumed taking calcium supplements.

Laks09 likes this.
  7. ChennaiExpress

This video is golden. It's just like bending down ... you want to put weight on glutes rather than back.

I didn't realize you have to put your glutes into walking as well. Will incorporate this and gradually increase my steps.

Laks09 likes this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I mean take it only if you are deficient

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I don’t think two years old ballet flats are supportive footwear, while you are actively trying to increase your step count. Will you be able to walk in a gym or outdoors with proper walking shoes? It probably is easier to add steps to your work day but it maybe better to warm up/ stretch and then walk and cool down, stretch a little more and call it a good workout.

Great!

Most common walking/running injuries are due to doing too much too soon, work out footwear, not warming up properly or a combination of these. Look into a few running injury articles and you will probably find a description of the kind of pain you are experincing. They will also have good tips to help alleviate the injury. I like runners world and here is one of their articles. Also look up common walking injuries online with images showing location and type of pain and see if you can find what it is. IT band, Shin splints, calf pain etc come to mind.

Hopefully rest and easing into the extra steps slowly is all you need.

You mentioned weak knees? What sort of knee injury are you having?

10. ChennaiExpress

Well, I will walk as usual with the office ballet flats.

Currently, I don't have time to go to gym or outdoors and walk, hence I walk at home. Barefoot on carpeted floor. Now I make sure I stretch legs before "power walk"

Yeah, I did too much too soon :eek:

Wow, Runners World? You must be running a lot. Do you run marathons?

You bet!

My kneecaps have a tendency to pop-out (bilateral sublaxation). Happened since childhood. I screamed in bloodcurdling pain. Managed this with lot of biking when I was only 10, keeping my weight down. Happened couple of more times into early 20s. I shudder to think about this.

I am supposed to do knee exercises every day, but haven't found time (yet). Now, I make myself do knee and leg stretching because my muscles feel stiff (which increase likelihood of injuries) to support the walking.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]