1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to get my baby to drink milk from bottle. Plz help.

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by friend, Mar 24, 2009.

1. friend

friend New IL'ite

Hello IL's

My 8th month old daughter isnt getting enough through my Breast milk and she is loosing weight, and wants to eat very often since she gets less milk at each feeding. I recently found this out and so decided to wean her from breast milk to formula.
    She is not ready to take the bottle at all... i tried the bottle for 15 days but no success, so started pouring formula in her mouth making her lay down. She drank this way for a week without any issues, but now she does not want to do it any more. She pushes my hands away, spills all the formula over the floor. She truns herself upside down and starts yelling. And finally vomits.
    I tried singing to her, talking to her, playing musical toys, but nothing's working. She cries and screams in anger.
    I am getting frustrated these days and i some times yell at her. I know i should not be doing this, but i am worried coz she is not getting proper amount of milk and nutrition. Bcoz i yell at her, she likes her dad more that me and wants to be with him.
    She even does not wanna eat the solid foods that i give her. She does not listen to me at all.

How do i get her to drink from the bottle, and eat well ? plz help me come out of this. I want my baby to drink well and be healthy.

2. friend

friend New IL'ite

How to wean from breast and get my baby to drink from bottle ?

Hello IL's

My 8th month old daughter isnt getting enough through my Breast milk and she is loosing weight, and wants to eat very often since she gets less milk at each feeding. I recently found this out and so decided to wean her from breast milk to formula.
    She is not ready to take the bottle at all... i tried the bottle for 15 days but no success, so started pouring formula in her mouth making her lay down. She drank this way for a week without any issues, but now she does not want to do it any more. She pushes my hands away, spills all the formula over the floor. She truns herself upside down and starts yelling. And finally vomits.
    I tried singing to her, talking to her, playing musical toys, but nothing's working. She cries and screams in anger.
    I am getting frustrated these days and i some times yell at her. I know i should not be doing this, but i am worried coz she is not getting proper amount of milk and nutrition. Bcoz i yell at her, she likes her dad more that me and wants to be with him.
    She even does not wanna eat the solid foods that i give her. She does not listen to me at all.

How do i get her to drink from the bottle, and eat well ? plz help me come out of this. I want my baby to drink well and be healthy.

3. kj2008

kj2008 Senior IL'ite

Re: How to wean from breast and get my baby to drink from bottle ?

Hi,

Even I had this problem when my boy was 4 months. He didn't like bottles. So I started giving him feeds in the night when he was a bit sleepy. Slowly he learnt to take bottle.

Also at eight months u could try sipper cups becoz gradually u wud b doing that. Why introduce the bottle now?

Hope this info helps!!!

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I'm a little confused here. Isnt your baby on solids? So if she is losing weight or not gaining enough wouldnt it be easier to increase the quantity/frequency/calorie content of solids at this age? Why do you think its the breast milk that is to blame?Also if she can sit up it may be easier to start her on a sipper rather than a bottleand better for her in the long run too. And it isnt really a good thing to pour any fluid into the mouth while the baby is lying down - she could choke quite easily. A semi-reclining position would be better.

Vanathi.

PS - I've merged your 2 threads on this topic. Please DO NOT start multiple threads on the same topic in different forums.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

friend, 8 months is too late to introduce bottle to a breastfed baby. Mine didn't want to do anything with a bottle at 5 months.

I don't really understand why you want to introduce formula at this stage when she can be on solids. Introduce fruits and veggies to her. Look up the stickies here on this forum for meal ideas and recipes. If she doesn't like something, don't force it, introduce something new and re introduce the food again. She's only 8 months old, and don't forget you are the parent, not her. :) Also like Vanathi says, feed her high calorie food. There's a thread too on that. Just look it up.

Good luck.

Raj

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. friend

friend New IL'ite

Aadusmom:

Yeah my baby is on solids, but i guess you didnt read my post well. She is refusing solids too from past 2 weeks. And also accoridng to Doctors, a baby this age should be drinking anywhere between 24 to 32 ounces of breast milk / formula and that being the main source of nutrition for their 1yr of life.
    That being the reason i am worried coz she barely takes 8 ounces of milk each day. And too lil solids.

She still isnt sitting up. And i have tried the sippy cup too, but thats too fast for her since it has 3 holes.

And about my posts in 2 different places -- i actually put the post in one, later thought may be i put in a wrong place so put it in the other one.
    It was not on purpose, Good people make mistakes, not all acts are done knowingly or to waste peoples time.

I assume this is a public forum and people have atleast a little freedom to commit mistakes unknowingly...

I am sorry if i caused any problems out here.

Thanks to all others who have replied for my posts too.
    No mom will reach her wits end, unless untill she is forced to. I am so concerned about her growth and weight gain and her nutrition, i got pissed off and saw no way, but post my concern here.

Thanks.

7. mrudula

mrudula Senior IL'ite

friend,

my daughter is also like this. she is 9 m/o. doesnt like bottle and doesnt like solids. only few items like banana and avocado. but i give her water in a sippy. slowly she started drinking well from a sippy. now i give her about 2 oz of formula a day. she sometimes drinks and sometimes not. my worry is to make her not dependant on me completely for her food. i too like her to eat solids, but she isnt much interested. she takes only very little of them. so i keep offering her solids in little amounts all the day. i also want her to drink formula at least for one feeding if she doesnt take solids. i think it's okay for up to one year, if they dont eat much solids. my pedi suggested to keep trying different varieties
    i keep wondering after reading the messages here about how everyone is feeding their LOs.

mrudula

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Friend,

I have 2 children; boy is 4 yrs old and girl is 9 months old. I'll try to answer based on my experience and learning...

First I would like to understand why you think your baby isn't getting enough BM? Is it because

a) she drinks too fast (or nurses faster than you expect)
    b) she cries after each and every feed and not just sometimes
    c) the doctor tells you so...

I suppose you know by now that the babies capacity to drink from breast increases and they take far less time at your baby's age.

It's also possible that babies do go through such phases where they simply want to latch on to mom's breasts even if it's not for nursing.

Now coming to weaning and switching over to formula:

it'll not happen over-night. let's be clear about that. It happens only gradually. breast-fed babies (as Riyasmommy says, of this age) would prefer to latch on rather than holding onto a bottle. That said i switched over to bottle for my son when he was 1 yr old. But that i could do only phase-wise. Like he would still nurse from me in the mornings, bed time and inbetween at nights. So that happens only gradually. You cannot panic that she's losing weight and suddenly make her drink formula milk somehow... nope! You can still try offering the bottle but only little by little... don't lose hope and patience:)

Important lesson whether you bottle feed or introduce solids.. never force your baby. It'll only create an aversion. Easier said than done but well this is a phase we all moms go through and will get past eventually.

Yelling as a first-time mother is natural.. i did that and don't worry that because of that she'll stick more to her dad. Ofcourse for that moment she'd like to move to a calmer shore.

'She does not listen to me at all'... i'm laughing hard at this.. sorry! your baby is just 8 months... wait for few more months and you'll know what it means by not listening at all.. it drives you insane. It's a natural tendency of any living being to reject something that is unacceptable. Your baby is displaying that and right time to start respecting that emotion! It saves you from lot of BP and heart breaks later...

I would like to know what you give her for solids. For my girl I was giving only 2 times solids until last month. Then she started to fuss and cry after the morning feed. So I introduced breakfast as well. There are still days she'd refuse her mid-day solids and prefer to feed from me or just latch on. It's fine... just let her be.

This is what i give my girl on a typical day. around 6 am BM. 7.30 - 8 breakfast: baby cereal (baby muesli) mixed with boiled full cream milk and 1/2 of a banana mashed. I change the fruit every 2nd day... like cooked, mashed (with fork) pear or apple.

Then around 9.30 she nurses again and takes a nap. 11.30-12 (sometimes even 1 depends on how long she naps): rice or oats or millet cereal mixed with water (ready made cereal) + boiled, mashed vegetables (carrots+cauliflower+dhal+beans/peas)+ a drop of ghee

Immediately after food she nurses or i give her baby tea. Then she plays or naps when go to pick up my son from school. She wakes up by the time we come home so the nap is only for an hour. Then around 4.30 again BM.

between 6 and 7 pm she has any cereal mixed with formula milk powder and hot water + fruit puree.

All rest of the time BM on demand.

I also give her idli with yogurt... there are days she refuses to eat more than a spoon.. i just leave it at that.

hope my reply helps...
    Latha

1 person likes this.
  9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Looks like my questions rubbed you the wrong way. I wasnt trying to crictisise what you were doing - only asking for more information so I could understand your problem better and maybe offer relevant advice. About multiple posts - I never thought it was done on purpose and I really dont know why my pointing it out offended you so much. I only wanted to convey some information to you and to others reading this for the future. You dont need to apologize at all - Forum moderatorship is a completely voluntary job :)

I have so many more questions to ask you about your child but somehow I dont think its appropriate. Hope the advice you get here helps you and your baby.

Vanathi.

10. SukiKumaran

SukiKumaran Senior IL'ite

Even my DD(17 months) too doesnt drink milk from a normal cup or straw tumber.She never lliked bottles. she drinks only water. But milk, a big no noooooo.
    I hold her in semi-reclining position. She doesnt like to be held in that position but that is the only option for me...... She turns herself upside down and starts yelling and vomits sometimes.bonk Only half goes in, half on her bib. I do sing her, talk to her but nothing has worked..... she was not good at liquids any time. so not able to gv any fruit juices or soups,etc...... Drowning
    But sometimes if she is watching TV ads and Serial title songs she drinks some quitely. :hide:that too in semi-reclined postion only.
    I wish she drinks by holding her cup herself. Not sure of how to make her to drink normally and independently.

Vanathi
    any suggestions to make her drink herself or with my help in sitting position(not semi-reclined).can i stop her giving milk for some time and try again after 1 or 2 months. she has never asked for food when hungry. Not even any signs.

Experienced moms pl help.:bowdown
    Thanks in advance