1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Get Motivated To Set Routine For Workouts/meditation

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Vedhavalli, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,
    Once the winter comes my entire physical activities comes to halt .
    I thought by joining gym, would do good, but now it went vain.
    From Oct to March I don't do any form activities. During summer I daily walk 20 min in evening/ night and do Surya namaskar in mornings also 10 min meditation.
    I tried switching on heater and doing yoga or simple excercise, Zumba from YouTube. It lasts for a week or so. Then I loose interest.
    How to stay motivated to set a routine for me for my physical activities?
    Suggestions and ideas welcome

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@Vedhavalli,

I am not at all a self motivated person. The only thing that has worked for me is : a group whether there is a goal or not.

Goal - if I keep a goal of doing say a 5k, run or walk then I join a group and train with them.

No goal - I belong to a gym and do only group exercises. I have figured out what time works for me best, picked a group fitness class at that time and stuck with it.

So my idea is if I am not in a goal phase, then I am in a group workout gym phase. It has helped me immensely during winter months.

Now if I miss working out, I am not easy to be with.

PS: I am certified yoga teacher yet need classes to keep me going. Bringing myself to the mat has been the hardest! Meditation is simply prayer as I sit quietly for a few minutes twice a day.

sindmani, PLK and Vedhavalli like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I am not sure if this gives you any answers but letting you know what works for me might give you some ideas. That is the intent.

4. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Pls give me the links of some easy Zumba videos from YouTube..I'm a complete beginner to Zumba..unable to attend actual Zumba classes....and very bad at dancing..and would like some videos that will instruct me the moves slowly..I saw few videos and the moves are too fast, I'm unable to follow the steps.

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Try to join Zumba classes ($5 per class in my area ), that may help as we are with a group and not so expensive. Or find a company to do it. Otherwise we need high self motivation to do anything ourselves.

What about this workout @Needtobestrong ?

Needtobestrong likes this.
  6. Rakshini

Rakshini Silver IL'ite

Hi vedhavalli
    It's really tough during peak winter s
    I have been to Chicago for a year,the climate during winter makes you dull.cant go out.
    Day light s also less.cant tell about festival (Christmas and new year celebration).so we have feast and enjoy.
    Diet and exercise would be the last option.i can truly understand your feelings.
    Reason to maintain diet and exercise should be strong.may be if you want to fit in your prepregancy jeans or just to stay healthy and maintain a healthy BMI.whatever it might be we need some motivation.i would like to give my reason
    1.i want to improve my overall health and wellness (2 pregnancy was high risk so took lot of hormones injection and almost bed rest,so awant to get my strength back)
    2.i want to look good (I don't want to look obese all my life,if I don't take steps now It will be even more difficult later)
    3.i want by dresses back (I ve so many jeans and tops which I can't wear.i wanted to use them again)
    4.if I do exercises iam more active so that I can take care of both kids,and work with more energy
    5.i want to be energetic and don't want to be sluggish (if you didn't exercise you're body won't be toned.)
    6.i will go to walk and go gym daily in morning(7 days a week).if I don't go I feel very bad.i love to workout.i gain confidence and enjoy the sessions
    First we have to make modifications in our diet then exercises can compliment to loose weight.only diet also will help us to reduce.but diet and exercise s a best options to reduce and maintain weight

7. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Thank you all.
    I'm thinking to join yoga with aerobics class.
    Let's see how for this goes