how to ferment idli dosa batter in delhi winters?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by mehtaradhikam, Oct 14, 2015.

1. mehtaradhikam

mehtaradhikam Bronze IL'ite

Seeking help on idli dosa batter. My DH and I absolutely love idli dosa anytime, we can eat them on any day everyday. Last year I was facing difficulty of fermenting idli dosa batter in delhi winters. Here winters are pretty harsh if I compare them to gujarat.

I searched on internet for tips, most of them says to keep batter in oven with oven light on. I have LG microwave oven so I am unable to keep light on. Due to this problem a whole batch of batter got wasted, as after 24 hours batter started smelling sour in bad manner.

Can I use yeast to ferment batter? I think yeast smell is pretty tough to digest in dosa idlis. For breads I love smell of yeast.

I was wondering though, when I visited ooty and kodaikanal last year in January, they were serving very good soft idlis and dosa with that peculiar fermentation smell, I thought is this even possible? Because temperature over there was like 2-3 celsius at night and 10-11 in day time. What trick they were using to get beautiful idlis and dosas?

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

wrap in a muffler or old sweater and keep it in a wooden almirah. I used to do that in Delhi winters.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan and mehtaradhikam like this.
  3. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

@ mehtaradhikam

- If you have heaters in any room you can keep the batter there. I usually do this during out winters here. or cover the batter vessel with a blanket.

1 person likes this.
  4. mehtaradhikam

mehtaradhikam Bronze IL'ite

Great ideas! Thank you so much, I will try that out in winters. Waiting eagerly to try.

5. BlueOrchids

BlueOrchids New IL'ite

you can also put a peeled onion in batter..heat of onion will help it to ferment fast...

Love
    BlueOrchids

Thyagarajan likes this.