1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to explain to your first kid , he is going to have a brother or sister soon

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by sivaranjaniadi, Jun 17, 2012.

1. sivaranjaniadi

sivaranjaniadi Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,
    How to explain to your first kid that he is going to have a brother or sister soon
    please give some tips about your parenting with 2 kids.

Thanks in Advance

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi...
    Congrats...You can tell story about siblings and how they had fun and etc and when LO gets attracted to story then slowly ask does Lo like to have one sibling... From his reply you can tell ...actually its better you wait till you complete 6 or 7 months ...

1 person likes this.
  3. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

Congratulations!!!

It depends on your LO's age. If the first child is 4 or 5 then they are exposed to the concept of brother and sister and you can be straight forward.

Maybe you can take him out and treat him with his favourite food or say Ice cream or something and make him feel that it is a joyous moment in his life.

If it is a smaller kid then you might have to take it very slow. You may start by telling him that he was in your tummy and how all babies come from Mommies tummy and go from there...

Hope I helped. I am planning for a second one and this was my approach. I might be wrong too...so follow your heart...

4. vidhyabharath

vidhyabharath Silver IL'ite

Hi!

Hearty Congrats!

I too agree with vjbunny. You can wait till 6 months, when your tummy is visible, the little one will ask for the reason at that time you can easily communicate with your first one that he or she will have their sibling shortly.

As vjbunny said you can say stories about siblings and also make your kid to touch your tummy and feel the movements of the baby. So that he or she will have more attachment with newcomer. Also they will be eagerly waiting for their brother or sister.

When I was in my second pregnancy, my elder son will touch my tummy and say "mamma, there is kutti pappa sleeping inside", also says "mamma having baby in her tummy and says that he is having food in his tummy". Really those are the lovely moments to enjoy.

I also thought like you before, because my elder one is very close to me. He never sleeps at night without me. Now its really amazing that he is not asking me, he easily accepted the little one, he become more mature even if I want to be him, in that time my little one cry, immediately he says "mama pappa is crying go and lift her".

Also he is more affectionate with his sister, plays with her, dancing and singing for her, tries to soothes her when she is crying. I can see the maturity with him that he becomes elder of the little one.

We should be mentally prepared to manage the two little kids, we should also be prepare to balance the situation. Since the elder one is also little one they also need our attention badly at sometimes eventhough if they behave mature enough.

Take care. All the best.

Have a Happy and safe pregnancy.

3 people like this.
  5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya...
    Thats lovely to hear about your DS...

6. vidhyabharath

Dear vjbunny!

Thank you so much! He is such a adjustable and lovely kid, we love him so much. I myself surprised many times when he cuddles his sister, when he plays with her, when we moved to UK, the little one was not adjusted to the new atmosphere and she was very cranky as well as crying a lot. At that time i really become stressed and not able to handle the situation. I was not able to give full attention to my elder son. At that time he tries to capture my attention sometimes.

Most of the times he behaved maturely and not pulling me towards him. Even though he is just 3.9 years old, He was doing all his needs through my parents and from my husband. I have to thank him for this.

Sometime I tell him to be with his sister and to take care of her, since i have some work, he will sit silently near to her and cuddle her and pacify her by showing rattles, giving toother something he do. Those are the really lovely moments and the mother only can enjoy those moments i think.

Once again thanks for your comments.

2 people like this.
  7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya...
    Thats superb the idea to involve him in taking care of his sister and am sure he will develop deep long lasting bond with his sister ... and I think parents should encourage and guide elder babies to get involved with their newborn siblings it helps in nurturing long lasting enduring n endearing relationship between them there by mitigate chances of sibling rivalry between then which in turn is a win win situation for parents...

Give my hugs and kisses to your DS...

Thanks a lot dear for sharing your experience I am sure its going to help many Ilites...

1 person likes this.
  8. vidhyabharath

Dear vjbunny!

Thank you so much!:thankyou2::thankyou2::thankyou2:

9. sivaranjaniadi

sivaranjaniadi Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,
    thanks for all your valuable tips and sharing your views too.
    we are planning to go for another kid.