1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to explain "healthy" to kids???

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Rajnigandha, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Rajnigandha

Rajnigandha Senior IL'ite

This past weekend I met a friend of mine who has a 5 yr old son.They are vegetarians but since he likes eating non-veg food his mother allows him to eat chicken and sea-food. She does not want him to eat red meat and hence when offered he says I cannot eat that as it is not healthy.
    Did not expect this coming from a 5 yr old!

I have a 4 yr old daughter, but whenever I say things like X food is healthy Y food is not, she does not seem to understand the concept of "healthy". I have read and heard from various people that imbibing healthy eating habits and explaining the kids the difference between healthy and non-healthy food at a young age helps them develop good eating habits for life. So, my question is - How do I explain my daughter the meaning of healthy?? And how do I inculcate healthy eating habits in her? Also, if I say things like eating X food will make you pretty and/or strong, she seems to care the least about my explanation.

Are there any websites or poems or stories or activities I can do to make her understand as she enjoys these things..

PS: We as a family always eat home cooked food and hardly eat food. We eat lots of fruits and vegetables and never fried food or sweets. So, we are setting ourselves an example for sure.

Thanks for your inputs...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    2 people like this.

2. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rajnigandha,

It is good to know that you are trying to inculcate a healthy eating in your child,the earlier the better! Kids are so smart that they catch on to anything explained in a simple fun manner. I remember reading this book in the Berenstein Bears series - TOO MUCH JUNK FOOD .Most of these books are topical,and deal with commonplace problems and solutions in a bear family setup. Try to get that book and read it with your child.She will enjoy it and might get the idea as well.

2 people like this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I dont know but I will be closely watching this thread for ideas! Lovely thread.

4. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Things may not happen over night. You need to keep telling them. And they may for next 2-3 years.

In BrainPOP jr,there are video which tell good choices and bad choices. Those videos would help kids. For each meal, I would tell which is good and bad. And whenever they eat some sugar, I would tell them how many calories it had and how much fat they get if they eat that.

It's not just one day thing. We need to keep re-telling until they understand. Some kid get fast and some kids take some time.

3 people like this.
  5. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Hmmm. This trick works sometimes with me. My DD is gng to be 3 and can understand and comprehend well. The negative part is now she says a lot of I don't like this and that. Which was never the case. But when she refuses some veggies or fruits I tell oh you don't like it mama loves it. They are yum and good for mama. It's ok if you don't want. Then I wl have a sad face. Of course she is still baby so this works for now. With 4 yr old I think you can sit down and have a good conversation on this topic ? Of course we should try to be healthy at home too if we want them to be healthy eating outside. Consistency in anything does the charm.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rajnigandha

Thanks racr..I will check out my local library

7. Rajnigandha

Great ideas everyone. While I was researching more on what I can do..I found some interesting games on the internet. Thought of sharing with everyone here:

1. Blindfold the child and let them feel and guess a fruit/veg
    2. Ask them to pick the odd one out from a group (say 4) of fruits/veggie combination
    3. Say out a fruit/veggie name and ask them if they think it is healthy or not. Negative points for incorrect answer

I want to try these out today in the evening.

My problem is she says she listens to me and will eat healthy food..in the daycare she skips fruits and veggies in her plate and lies to me at home that she finished the healthy stuff :(
    Maybe because I am stressing a lot on this topic..need to tone down a little I guess

Keep your ideas coming ladies....I am sure most of us need help here

1 person likes this.
  8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

You may want to rethink if you want to give negative points for incorrect guess ragni. How about giving points for correct answer and no points for wrong answer?

4 people like this.
  9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

I wonder what your friend will do when her son grows up a bit, and learns in school that his mother lied about red meat. I am very careful not to lie to my child about such things (or anything), because I never want to lose my credibility in her eyes.

Rajni, the best advice I can give you is to become better informed yourself. Do you understand exactly what it means when we say food is healthy? How about empty calories versus nutrients? I often find myself reading up on topics like this before I broach them with my child. The only way to be an effective teacher is to be an informed one.

Here's a great resource from PBS to get you and your daughter started:

Healthy Eating for Kids Food & Fitness . PBS Parents | PBS

I have a 4-year-old daughter, too. I have explained to her, in simplest terms, about micro-nutrients (vitamins and minerals) and macronutrients (carbs, fats, proteins), fibre, and everything else that would comprise a healthy diet/balanced meal. She understands that "food" (what we eat at meals - bread, pasta, meat, legumes, fruit, vegetables, etc.) is nutritious, while most "desserts" or treats (anything sugary, salty or high in fat) is not so nutritious, and should therefore be consumed in moderation. Then, there are snacks (cereal bars, sweetened yogurt, pretzels), which often bridge the gap between the two. Then, there is stuff like pizza, birthday cake, etc. which can be food, dessert, or a snack when we go out and I have less control over what she eats (at a party, for example).

Your explanation will depend on your own eating habits (as mine above applies to our eating habits), and the kinds of foods you consume. So, while you can and should use resources, be sure to tailor them for her understanding (for example, make sure you identify Indian foods according to food groups, too - dhall is a protein, rice is a starch, and so on).

I think "healthy", "strong", and "pretty" (? - not so sure about this one) are pretty abstract concepts for a preschooler, so I'm not surprised she cannot relate to what you are saying. After all, children don't have our experience of the world to understand sickness or weakness, and this top-down approach won't work with them. What I try to do is look at nature, and talk about trees and plants, for example. My girl understands photosynthesis, and so I draw parallels between plants that get nutrients, and plants that don't (those that have withered away, are stunted, etc.). She gets it that sunshine, water, and plant nutrients in soil are necessary for good growth, and I relate that to the nutrients in her own food.

I do allow my child frequent, regular treats in tiny portions. She has ice-cream, cake, chips, chocolate, and candy (but not soda). I want her to understand that these foods are not healthy, but they are not forbidden. I want to teach her self-control, so she knows she can have them, but she needs to be aware of portion size. I also want her to know she is not crazy for thinking these foods are good (because they are), but that just because something is good, we shouldn't over-indulge.

I also don't force my child to eat anything. This has been the single biggest achievement, I think, on my part, in getting her to eat healthier. Recently, she came home to tell me she loves the raw green peppers they give her at school for snack, but that she won't eat them at home, because the ones at school are "different". They're not, but I just smile to myself, and let her have her way. After all, she IS eating raw green peppers, and all I had to do to achieve that was to let her find them herself. This element of control (even if it is partly an illusion) is very important for children.

6 people like this.
  10. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Anusya. Good read. I curious are you saying red meat is healthy or nutritious or are you saying a portioned meal of red meat is healthy and nutritious. We are vegetarians but I was always under the impression red meat is just fat whereas boneless and skinless chicken is good protein and fish is good source of omega 3. I could be wrong. Never had meat in life this is from what I heard and if this wrong then I want to be better informed and prepared if and when my kids want to have meat.