1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Encourage My 7 Yr Old Boy Eat Himself

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by yadh, Jul 14, 2016.

1. yadh

yadh New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I am still struggling with my son as he does not eat himself..he is 7 yrs old.at school he eats himself and finishes his lunch.at home he frustrates and eat very less quantity and says my stomach is full when he eats himself...and most of the time he wants me to feed him...
    He is not gaining weight too....
    Please suggest ideas to encourage him to eat himself.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello, perhaps you are doing most of these things. Just in case, here are some suggestions from me. These worked really well with my child.

1. Have a schedule for food and stick to the times more or less. Time the meals such that there is roughly 5 / 5:30 hours between each breakfast and lunch; lunch and dinner.
    2. Cut out ALL - and by that I mean ALL snacks in between. Do not offer anything at all. Including drink, except water.
    3. At meal time sit together and turn off all gadgets - tv, tablets, phones. Make eye contact and talk during the meal.
    4. Have a variety of topics on hand for a conversation - about a hobby; about a topic he's learning in school; about plans for the weekend whatever.
    5. Don't talk about food or give it undue focus. If he says he's had enough, just ask, "are you sure?" And respect his answer.
    6. If he doesn't eat, resist the urge to feed him. After day half and hour take the food away. With my child having a ticking clock in front helps.. The ticking second hand gives her a rhythm to chew and finish quickly.
    7. If later on he is hungry, do not offer him anything. Offer water or maximum a glass of milk. If you are consistent, he will realise automatically that he needs to eat more and improve. If not, he knows he is going to be fed anyway and will continue doing this.

At my place we yo-yo quite often between feeding and eating by herself. The one thing that helps is lesser interference from anyone else and consistency from me. Mine says she likes being fed. So I have it as a Friday night special or something.

3. yadh

yadh New IL'ite

Thanks guesshoo for your suggestions...definitely will try out all these...hope this will suit my child too....